walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

LIATHACH - a tantalising daunder in Glen Torridon.

LIATHACH - a tantalising daunder in Glen Torridon.

Postby Bod » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 15/10/2012

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1221m

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Liathach has had me intrigued and excited me for years, and on Monday I discovered the finer detail of just how amazing these monumental mountains are! Gordon was joining myself and Valerie for this one, and we all were to be well amused at the contrast of the massive reality of these "mountains" to our simple description of it's "steeply up, along for a bit and back down again". I hope the pictures do justice to whole setting of Glen Torridon and Liathach :wink: :D :D

Valerie and myself, Gordon and Julie, and Keith and Linda are all cosied up in our lovely wee Plockton holiday cottage as I write this report. It just seems important to me to crack on and write this as Liathach is a definite post for me, no holding back on sharing my views of this serious and wonderfully special mountain day. One to savour and plan again and again :roll: :D :D

1.jpg
Strolling along the road in Glen Torridon after leaving the car at the foot of the descent path was a grand idea. Then as we went staring up at the spendour above we were soon past Glen Cottage, and standing at the base of the path following the Allt an Doire Ghairbh rising directly up the mountainside.
2.jpg
On the path up about 340 metres above sea level.
3.jpg
An exciting and a times technical route :)
4.jpg
The grandeur and glamour of Coire Liath Mhor with Valerie and Gordon standing proudly! All of us delighted to see the earlier mists clearing away. Were we to be treated to the views north once joining the ridge?
5.jpg
Yasssss! And there we are, Sail Mhor on the westerly end of Beinn Eighe presents itself and the corbett Beinn an Eoin some 7km away :)
6.jpg
The impressive north side of Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig.
7.jpg
Valerie and Gordon following closely behind me, now approaching towards the 960 high cairn after we joined the ridge below at 833 metres above sea level.
8.jpg
Beinn Eighe streches out to east with its endless and fancinating ridge line :)
9.jpg
The wondrous lands to the north that I so wanted us all to see :) They never cease to amaze me!
10.jpg
Tom na Gruagaich and Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin) to the west. My favourite earliest munros :)
11.jpg
12.jpg
Now on top of Spidean a' Choire Leith, after considering stopping here to today and retracing our steps, I looked ahead to see Am Fasarinen (the pinnacles) and Mullach an Rathain. Conditions under foot were tricky, but time was on our side, the sun was melting the southside and we were re-ighted as if that was even necessary on such an amazing day! All together happy with sticking to our original plan we were soon down over the tricky boulder field and up to the view point just 200metres short of the first pinnacles.
13.jpg
Beinn Dearg there viewed through the first gulley overlooking Coire nan Caime.
14.jpg
There's me having shot up onto the viewing level at the 958m spot height in just a few seconds.....not bad for a big lad! (Cheers Gordon for the photo)
15.jpg
Well this pictures says it all! Scotland's finest, many they might be, but I was awe stricken!!! The Liathach pinnacles damp and layered with fine snow were challenging to the full, and satified my scrambling lust very quickly. I knew of the by-pass option, but feared that would not be the best option. Today however it was, I had more than just myself and Valerie to think about and did not wish to strike a fear into Gordon.....to be completely honest I was more than satisfied with the mental high I gained on the initial edges......striking and smacking me in the gut saying "cross us at your peril". Perhaps on a dry summer's day I may have adjusted my thoughts (and that day will come), but on Monday there, we needed our focus to be on safely and quickly reaching the broader ridge line on to Mullach an Rathain.
16.jpg
17.jpg
Back down into Glen Torridon.
18.jpg
An easier section of the by-pass route :)
19.jpg
Cracking and never failing wondrous sights to see :)
20.jpg
Mullach an Rathain and Coreag Cam! Meall Dearg dropping off to the right.....
21.jpg
Looking down Meall Dearg northeast of the summit :)
22.jpg
The happy gang! The day just got better and better :)
23.jpg
Loch Torridon and the route home! :)
24.jpg
Cheers Gordon,lovely photo of us descending back to the glen. Glorious autumn colours now blending together :)

What a day it was, sneaking off oot the door to the pub noo without the lassies knowing :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am, edited 19 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: LIATHACH - a tantalising daunder in Glen Torridon.

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Those photos evoke excitement and fear in one almighty swoop :D :shock: :roll: 8)

What a mountain, and i know you had some tough calls to make on route.

Well done to all, this one will live long in the memory i bet.

Oh, and I've still to do this...still do all of them in Torridon :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Good stuff Bod and as you say, amazing mountains, probably in everyones top 5. I was just a couple of mountain ranges away from you on Monday and see you got a wee taste of winter also :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Good stuff Bod and as you say, amazing mountains, probably in everyones top 5. I was just a couple of mountain ranges away from you on Monday and see you got a wee taste of winter also :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby soulminer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm

It is a stunning place at the best of times, but a wee dust of snow adds a bit of 'glamour' :lol: I doubt if anyone could fail to enjoy these two on a day like you had for it :wink: 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby PeteR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Absolutely fantastic hill :D Can't wait to get up there (probably 2013 now) and experience the excitement. That dusting of snow certainly adds to the atmosphere
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Gonads » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 pm

A cracking day was had and many thanks to Bod and Val for getting me up my first Munro in 10 years. Will dine out on it for a few years to come :D
Gonads

Postby Alan S » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Well done Bod and Val 8) :clap:
Excellent pictures big man 8) even better with the snow :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 pm

wow - what a memorable day Bod, beautiful photos of some of Scotlands best hills.....but the roast beef could have waited man.....where's the rest :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby IreneM » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Absolutely fantastic photos Bod! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for sharing.
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Well done.. I cant believe the amount of snow...I love it up there and look forward to going back :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:16 pm

It's an awe inspiring and frightening mountain and these photos and your report do it justice indeed :D . Thanks for taking a break from your break to share :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby skuk007 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Great report and great pics Bod.

Well done for carrying on after Spidean a' Choire Leith and not letting the sight of a wee bit of snow put you off - are ye mad? :lol: I'm definitely saving this for a clear dry day.

That bypass route pic - how easy was that path, because it just looks to be hanging to the side of the mountain?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 pm

WOW! Great report & stunning photo's Bod,some seriously exciting looking mountains. Looks like winter is on it's way,the conditions looked a lot different to our Grey Corries jaunt just over a week ago.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Bod » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone :D :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland