walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In awe above Loch Awe

In awe above Loch Awe

by Paula Hubens » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 12/06/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 1439m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: In awe above Loch Awe

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 pm

weescotsman wrote:Nice report. Looks totally different to when I did this in April in deep snow up top. Couldn't even get over the summit to the ridge, we had to drop down and find a bypass path. Which was narrow, still snowy and not for the faint hearted.... :crazy: 3 of our gang decided it wasn't for them and they went back down, which I reckoned would be just as tricky really..... took me 9 hours for the round trip. Snowy ridge was a bit tricky and the slabs were a bit iced up as well so had to be careful.....

Thanks weescotsman! :D Your trip sounds more like an expedition, although 9 hours is quick, if you compare it to my 8.5 hours in good conditions :lol:

coreen connell wrote:Well done, you were lucky with the weather. Thanks for your report and lovely pictures too! :)

Thank you coreen! Yes, the weather gods were benign this time. To get views is just great. :D

rockhopper wrote:Some of us are happy if we can string together a few days in the hills.....but I make this 11 in a row so far (more to come ?) and doff my hat to you - well done ! :clap: Glad you got some views as I didn't see a thing on my trip to these hills - cheers :)

Ah, that’s a pity rockhopper that you didn’t get the views. It’s well worth the effort to go back for them. Just the ridge is a treat for the eyes, let alone the rest of the surroundings.
Nearly there with the reports…. :wink:

davedanson28 wrote:As Rock hopper said, well done...11 days on the trot! Lucky you! :lol:
This is still my favourite hill, me and my boy climbed it back in April and there was about 2 foot of snow on the ridge, amazing place, great report and keep them coming! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Dave! I can see why this is your favourite hill. The snow most have made it even more special. :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Another cracking TR Paula,as folks have said 11 days on the trot,brilliant,you will be glad of the rest when you get home.

Cheers gammy leg walker! It took a surprisingly short time for my legs to start itching again for the hills. :lol:

PeteR wrote:There are times when 25 photos just aren't enough :lol: And this is one of those routes :D Great report of two fine hills :D I keep promising to go back, but haven't managed it just yet.

:oops: Honestly I did try to keep it down to 25!
They are two fine hills I agree. I think I will return too. :D

Fudgie wrote:Excellent stuff Paula. A hard fought pair of hills but they are worth it :thumbup:

Thanks Fudgie! :D

Bod wrote:Very nice paula, one of my favourite mountains is Cruachan, and I will being heading up again one of these days? Maybe a nice winter summit? :D

Thanks Bod! It is definitely in my list of favourites too. Not sure whether I would go back in winter. But then, you and Valerie have done some pretty cool stuff recently in the snow on Liathach. 8)

weescotsman wrote:I'd like to do this again but not in winter. That bypass path from the summit had me worried and it was 1 slow step at a time to get down it..... :shock: :crazy:

I’m with you there weescotsman. I haven’t done any winter hill walking at all and would not choose Ben Cruachan to try it out!

mountain thyme wrote:nice wee report :D

Thank you mountain thyme! :D

ScottishLeaf wrote:Like you I had a cracking day on these two, only it was very busy when I was there.
Great days on Cruachan to be had by all me thinks.

Thanks ScottishLeaf! I think the sun should shine on Ben Cruachan for everyone climbing it. :D

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Nice report Paula,Cruachan was my first Munro & i remember that stiflingly hot climb to the dam being a killer. As you say,the views are awesome,i was taken aback by them to be honest & was in an instant hooked. Thanks for sharing & bringing back great memories of this mountain,it's on the list for a revisit!

Wow, that’s a great first munro! I can see how you got hooked! 8)

pigeon wrote:Great report Paula,certainly made the most of your visit to the hills.Had probably our best day on these hills a couple of years back,7 numpties and 2 big mountains covered in snow made for an interesting day :lol: Never seen that wee frog though :wink:

Thanks Pigeon! Sounds you had a great day out too. Would love to read a report about it!
As for the frog :crazy: :lol:
Paula Hubens

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Another great report Paula, just look at those views, simply superb. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks skuk007! :D
Paula Hubens

Postby gordon l » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Great report and pics there, one of my favourite walks. Always feel like I'm in a Bond villain's lair/ WWII movie set when you ascend the steps to the dam :)
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks gordon, it's one of my favourites too! :D
gordon l wrote: Always feel like I'm in a Bond villain's lair/ WWII movie set when you ascend the steps to the dam :)
:lol:
Paula Hubens

Postby Jabber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Great walk that in any condition. I missed the Corbett last time up, going to go back as I think the view off it is cracking!
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Paula Hubens » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Jabber! :D I had my eye on that Corbett too, but decided against it as I was getting tired.
Paula Hubens

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland