walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye

Skye

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 16/10/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1
Well, I finally got to Skye! And what a brilliant couple of days I had. If anyone is thinking of going to Skye I can recommend SkyeHi. Graham was excellent and gave me a lot of confidence. Whilst I felt that I managed all the scrambling OK the route finding would have been very difficult not to say impossible without a guide. In addition to that, having a guide makes it possible to undertake interesting routes that aren’t in the Munro books.

I met Graham and another client, John, at Sligachan at 8am and we were soon heading out along the path towards Sgurr nan Gillean.
DSCN2014.JPG
The walk in
There was a sprinkling of snow in the corrie and along the ridge and the views were stunning. In the distance we could pick out the Old Man of Storr.
DSCN2015.JPG
Old Man of Storr
On gaining the ridge at the Bealach a Bhasteir
DSCN2017.JPG
Am Basteir
we dumped our rucksacks, put on our helmets and harnesses and made our way round to our first bit of excitement, a climb up a short chimney.
DSCN2023.JPG
John at the top of the first climb
We were soon at the top and were confronted by the next challenge, weaving in and out of pinnacles with a fair bit of exposure all around.
DSCN2027.JPG
2nd climb
Then we had some good scrambling up the west ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean.
DSCN2033.JPG
Just to prove I was there too!
We encountered some icy slabs near the top
DSCN2037.JPG
Near the window
and roped up again before squeezing through the window and on up to the summit cairn.
DSCN2039.JPG
Summit Sgurr nan Gillean
The excitement was not over though as on the descent we were lowered off to the bottom of our first climb.
DSCN2042.JPG
A long way down
After a quick snack we set off along the ridge for Am Basteir. This was fairly straightforward apart from a short vertical section for which we roped up again.
DSCN2049.JPG
Summit of Am Basteir
Then it was back to the bealach to pick up our gear and have a late lunch. As we sat there a Tornado (which we originally thought was a boat!) rose up out of the sea near Loch Coruisk and roared up over the ridge, doing a roll as it went past. Show off! We dropped down into the corrie and followed the path under the north face of Am Basteir to the Bealach nan Lice and on up to the summit of Bruach na Frithe.
DSCN2055.JPG
Summit of Bruach na Frithe
We then retraced our steps back to Coire a’ Bhasteir and down to Sligachan.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Skye

Postby dannyboy2003 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm

I would second that! Graham is an excellent guide, he helped my son and i along the ridge earlier in the year. My avatar is us on the ridge in August.

Looks like you had some tricky snow conditions which would have made the use of a guide even more helpful, we got to the chimney below SGN in April (without a guide) and turned back due to conditions that didnt look disimilar to yours. So it shows the value of having someone who knows routes and conditions on the Cuillin.

M
dannyboy2003
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

dannyboy2003 wrote: So it shows the value of having someone who knows routes and conditions on the Cuillin.

M

Dead right!!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:47 pm

woo hoo takes me back to when we were there in May. Fantastic!!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby soulminer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Similar snowy conditions, but ours were slightly windier and cloudier :wink: Same guide though- Quite a pleasant chap is Graham, full of fun :lol: Thanx for a look at the views we missed :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland