walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glennachulish to Duror via Beinn a'Bheithir

Glennachulish to Duror via Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby HillmanHunterz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a successful outing to Torridon I was itching to climb some more hills before the days got any shorter. Jumped on a ciylink bus to Fort William and got off at the Ballachulish bridge to be faced with that afternoon's goal(s): Sgorr Dhearg and Sgorr Dhonuill.

Was able to set off from the Glennachulish forestry car park by the back of 1pm on only my second solo hike. The day was glorious with clear skies and heat in the sun. I made good progress on the ascent through the Glennachulish forest meeting a couple coming the other way. Turned out these were the only people I would meet all afternoon.

Leaving the forest line the ground was quite boggy but made the col (757m) following an old fence 90 minutes in.

A view of Sgorr Dhonuill from the col (and looking quite benign!)

But first: Sgorr Dhearg

A good path on granite saw me make the top of Sgorr Dhearg 2hrs after leaving the car park. The views were amazing and reminded me for the upteenth time why I really need to invest in a decent camera!

Sgorr Dhonuill from Sgorr Dhearg:

You can see Sgorr Dhonuill's narrow crest quite clearly showing the sharp drops north into the coire.

The camera was put away as I headed west to tackle the steep climb up Sgorr Dhonuill. Some easy scrambling was required at the top but it was quite clear where you had to head.

Arriving at the top I was aware that my shadow was getting longer so did not hang around and soon headed west making my way towards Duror forest. Headed for the lochan that can be seen here in the middle distance (NN026554).

The descent was simple enough and provided fantastic views down Loch Linnhe as the sun was beginning to set in the west. The only real danger was from the numerous hidden burns that dotted the hill side.

The clearing in the forest shown on the map (NN015552) that I was making for had trees growing in it. However, it was possible to cross the burn 100m left of the clearing and make my way through the trees - where a clearing had recently been made and is not marked on the map - to a forestry track. From there it was a pleasant walk through the forest to the car park.

Duror forest:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

HillmanHunterz
Mountain Walker

Munros:198   Corbetts:49
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:26   

Re: Glennachulish to Duror via Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby Fudgie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 am

Yet another route for these two :lol: I was on them on Sunday and we worked out two or three ways of doing them so we'll definitely be back. It was also a bit busier than how you got it :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland