walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh circuit

Creag Meagaidh circuit


Postby gman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Carn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Date walked: 23/10/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


creag meagaidh 23-10-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts


I'm sure MWIS showed 80% chance of cloud free Munros, this was the other 20% of the time :)

Parked about 9:30, it's very well maintained around here though there was only one other car parked. Track leads to the house and there's a path alongside which they recommend for walkers. House:
Image

Then it's on up the path, again well maintained, until I got to the cairn marking the start of the muddy path up Na Cnanapan:
Image

Mud & Loch Laggan:
Image

Looking round & into the valley - can see the return path here running along the right hand side:
Image

Up to a rocky bit, getting into the clag:
Image

There are peat hags further up and several paths going around them and onwards, bit rocky in places.
Image

Straight on up to the cairn at Carn Liath:
Image

Was hoping the sun would burn through the clag, but it was not to be. There are paths to follow round the ridge:
Image

Bit of descent to the ditch before Meall an t-Snaim:
Image

Back up for some interestingly posed cairns:
Image

Path with rocks:
Image

Path with fence posts:
Image

A cairn, which was probably the 2nd Munro of the day. It didn't feel like there was enough descent/reascent to justify 3 Munros on the ridge but who's complaining :D
Image

After this, it was down to the window, which was a bit more interesting. Snow on the path up to Creag Meagaidh:
Image

Followed the cliffs on the left for a bit, then realised this wasn't the way to the top so headed South-west instead. Big grassy plateau so would be easy to get lost in poor visibility (like today). I didn't pass Mad Meg's cairn so wasn't sure if this was the top or not:
Image

Used GPS to find the way back to make sure I saw Mad Meg's. Unusual shape yet oddly comforting:
Image

Back to the window, 2 paths lead to the right and both lead to the V at the bottom of the window:
Image

Then a rocky descent, finally I was out of the clag so it was great to get a view of anything:
Image

Saw the cliffs on the way down, pretty spectacular:
Image

More cliffs:
Image

Lochan, cliffs and the stony descent from the window on the right:
Image

Return path, a really enjoyable walk back with no mud, deer high on the rocks either side, a decent path and great views back.
Image

Met a guy from the nature trust when I got back who asked about deer on the hills, and there were tourists in a mini van taking photos of the Highland coos. Nice walk, better with views and would probably be a good one in snow.
User avatar
gman
 
Posts: 648
Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Sep 12, 2011

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm

nice one, I was looking at this on the map, thinking I'd not seen a TR for a while then one pops up!
User avatar
mrssanta
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3007
Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8
Joined: Jul 18, 2011
Location: north yorkshire moors

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby quoman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi gman, Iys a pitty you never got any real views fi the tops but its a cracker of a walk anyway i done it the other way round i sat at the dig rock next to the lochan before i went up the rocky path whitch was in about 10ins of snow :lol: one step up two steps back slipping all over the place :lol: :lol:
User avatar
quoman
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 960
Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Nov 14, 2011
Location: larbert

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow! Looks great! I have been sort of avoiding this area for a while, but after seeing your report, I think I should get my backside up there soon! :D Your pics are great - was there a bit of a cloud inversion going on in the early pics? Or just lower clouds lingering? - looks awesome! Great Report! Not many to go to get your century. I felt my 90-100 took me forever! :shock:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 267
Munros:253   Corbetts:14
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6
Joined: Oct 6, 2012
Location: Dunblane

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby SMRussell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 am

Loved these hills when we did them back in March. The views are wonderful so if you have a chance to re-visit go for it. Having said that the photos look very dramatic :D
User avatar
SMRussell
Rambler
 
Posts: 488
Munros:157   Corbetts:10
Grahams:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:81   Islands:8
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby Steve B » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 am

Did these the other way round last year. Had a navigation epic with getting mad megs cairn and the summit mixed up in similar conditions. Got blown off my feet on the way to the third summit.
A good circuit and nice to remember it.
Steve B
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 280
Munros:238   Corbetts:7
Hewitts:53
Wainwrights:26   Islands:9
Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Location: Glasgow

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby Fudgie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

I'm definitely leaving these three for a clear day as I've seen a few great reports from them. You'll need to get back up there gman :D
User avatar
Fudgie
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 994
Munros:96   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
Location: Port Glasgow

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice one Gman :clap:

We did these as a round of 5 in May or June and it was a roasting hot day and yet there was still lots of snow about :crazy:

Its amazing how different everything looks 5 months on. We finished our descent on your ascent path and I must say I was disappointed that it wasn't in better condition or indeed in evidence!!!! :lol: :lol:


Well done!
User avatar
pollyh33
Walker
 
Posts: 2577
Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Mar 30, 2011
Location: Rutherglen

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby gman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Cheers, and OK I'll be back for better views (hopefully), maybe once the snow comes down :)

Was on Aonach Mor & Beag today and got the same conditions - I'm turning into a clag magnet and need my polarity reversed :lol:
User avatar
gman
 
Posts: 648
Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Sep 12, 2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blair282, Jurwin, Stenny1903 and 19 guests