walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Glen Lyon Beinn Dearg

The Glen Lyon Beinn Dearg

Postby John Burgess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg, Innerwick, Glen Lyon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 04/12/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start from home meant the Moon was still bright as I drove up Glen Lyon. My walk started at the forest track which meets the road just west of Camusvrachan. Parking seemed fairly non-existent here but I found a spot a couple of hundred yards west of the start where I figured the car wouldn't be in anyones way.

Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The track climbed quite steeply at times and, just as it swung right to head across the Cul Lairig another track (not on the map) headed uphill. I used this on the way down as it leads to the hillside below Creag Ard.
Keeping on the main track I soon emerged from the forest and got my first good look at the way ahead. I kept to the slopes on the right of this photograph.

Dawn on Beinn Dearg.JPG

The view opened up with the sun striking the tops of the surrounding peaks and soon I saw my first herd of deer of the day.

Tarmachans.JPG

The first Deer.jpg

Higher up the ridge steepened and, in the soft snow, the ascent was slow. Near the top I found one patch where I was in up to my thighs. I'm really too old for the contortions required to get my leg out of one hole and plant it a few inches higher :(
Finally I was out of this and into an 'easier' area of wind sculpted snow.

A view from the upper slopes.JPG

Snow Sculpture.JPG

Avalanche debris on another part of the slope was a timely reminder of the need for care even on this 'undistinguished outlier of the Carn Mairg range' - as Walkhighlands describes it. I wouldn't have wanted to end up underneath that lot :shock:

Avalanche.JPG

The angle eased and I reached the big flat summit plateau. The cairn itself looked like something from 'Scott of the Antarctic'.

Summit Cairn.JPG

Summit looking North.JPG

Summit looking South.JPG

Nevis and the Aonachs.JPG

Today I was trying out my new winter boots :D Although it was completely unnecessary I put the crampons on for the first part of the descent to make sure I had them properly adjusted. Better to find out if they fall off in these conditions than when they are really needed :lol: They worked :D
The plan was to swing round over Creag Ard. Hard work but there's something nice about making the first set of tracks in the snowy wonderland.

Lochan on the ridge.JPG

My tracks.JPG

Mind you, I should say first 'man tracks'. The deer had got there first and a group crossed the ridge just ahead of me. One stag dawdled behind and took a good look at me before heading off after the others.

Deer.JPG

Stag.jpg

Creag Ard proved to be a good viewpoint - a place where much of Glen Lyon is visible at once.

Looking west along Glen Lyon.JPG

Looking east along Glen Lyon.JPG

Ben Alder.JPG

An Stuc.JPG

From the ridge of Craig Ard I saw a large herd of deer crossing the upper slopes of Beinn Dearg.The ridge lead swiftly to the edge of the forest where I met some of the local keepers out after foxes. I heeded their advice and descended back through the forest - well out of the way of any line of fire!

The ridge of Creag Ard.jpg

Beinn Dearg.JPG

Deer near the Summit.JPG

The track provided some fine views over Ben Lawers and I was soon back on the road. Now I know you're probably thinking - 5 hours for 8 kms :o - but, hey, the snow WAS soft and, anyway, on a day like this, why hurry :D

Descending through the forest.JPG

Lovely!.JPG

The start and finish.JPG
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Glen Lyon Beinn Dearg

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Brilliant photos ~ loved the wind-sculpted snow especially. Looks like you bagged a day of perfect weather.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Alan S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Great set of pics again john 8)
That shot of the stag with the hill in the background is a cracker
Heading out next weekend hope to get weather like that
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Looks like you bagged a day of perfect weather.

You can say that again - the whole of Scotland looked to be having superb conditions.
Back to normal now, grim, grey and wet. Perfect excuse for a lazy day :lol:
John Burgess

Postby gaffr » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:25 pm

hello,
You had a very fine day out....my approach to this hill was from Cam Chreag to the West...good to see things from another side. Quite a number of estate motors at the start/finish of your day out....did you come across some, perhaps, hind shooting on the hill?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby John Burgess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:26 pm

alan sherry wrote:That shot of the stag with the hill in the background is a cracker

Definite case of right place at the right time. He even posed :lol:
John Burgess

Postby John Burgess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:28 pm

gaffr wrote:hello,
You had a very fine day out....my approach to this hill was from Cam Chreag to the West...good to see things from another side. Quite a number of estate motors at the start/finish of your day out....did you come across some, perhaps, hind shooting on the hill?

Keepers out after foxes. They were very friendly and hopefully I didn't disturb things for them.
John Burgess

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Ah John,

you painted a pretty picture. Almost an idyllic day on the hill I imagine after last weekends more arduous trekking.
Is there a better day on the hill? I would imagine it ended rather nicely in the Inn?? Je suis jaloux.

Kev
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby John Burgess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 pm

kevsbald wrote: Almost an idyllic day on the hill I imagine after last weekends more arduous trekking.
Is there a better day on the hill? I would imagine it ended rather nicely in the Inn?? Je suis jaloux.
Kev

Hi Kev,

As you suspect it was nice to have a lazier day without the big packs. I even got down before nightfall and had time for a couple of photos on the journey home.

Looking Downstream.JPG

The entry to Glen Lyon.JPG

And, yes, a visit to the local was enjoyed :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Freewheelin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:24 am

Some nice pics there John.

It's a beautiful glen with some fine scenery. Doesn't get the amount of attention it deserves (definitely a good thing!).
:thumbup:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:53 am

Great report and pics - very timely reminder about the avalanche danger - I'm definitely one of those who wouldn't even think of such a thing on a fairly gentle hill but I should know better. You may say you're old but you certainly proved to be very fit last weekend on the Tarf trip!
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:36 am

mountain coward wrote:you certainly proved to be very fit last weekend on the Tarf trip!

OOO-err Missus! :lol: Did the gamies say what they did with the fox skins ? I'm always on the look-out for a new hat !
As in "When I said I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said 'wear the fox hat...' " Geddit ?! :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby John Burgess » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Caberfeidh wrote: Did the gamies say what they did with the fox skins ? I'm always on the look-out for a new hat !
As in "When I said I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said 'wear the fox hat...' " Geddit ?! :D

Got it :lol:
When I passed them they hadn't found any foxes yet. I did hear one shot when I was down on the road.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:44 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
mountain coward wrote:you certainly proved to be very fit last weekend on the Tarf trip!

OOO-err Missus! :lol:

As in he led the way on most of the walking!!
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 am

Cracking report John. What is your Inn of Choice following a Glen Lyon ascent? Hoping to get back up there over Christmas to tackle Meall Ghaordaidh from that side (and hopefully tag on the Corbett Beinn nan Oil Rig as well).
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland