walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another trip to Knoydart

Another trip to Knoydart

Postby JOHNGG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 am

Date walked: 03/08/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm not a great fan of the drive along Loch Garry and down to Glendessary but the views do make up for it, especially as you near journey's end. Down to single figures in the Corbett "to do" list so this was Friday's plan - a day off work and (hopefully) good weather. Fortunately MWIS (and the BBC) both got it right and I was rewarded with blue skies and sunshine. The midges were eating me alive as I tied my boots so I did wish it was a bit windier but that's nit picking. The walk from Glendessary to Sgurr an Fhuarain is, if i'm honest, a bit of a slog. There's the landrover track first then an ascent of about 250m, then a boggy walk of about 3 km, then a descent and then finally a brutally steep ascent of about 700m to the ridge between this hill and its higher munro neighbour. I was mighty glad to make the ridge between them as that just left a stroll and a gradual ascent of about 200m to the summit , and the reward of some simply stunning views. Thanks to my nephew messing with my camera there's an odd tint to the photos, but then the real beauty is in being there to experience this part of the world in person.

Knoydart 2012 013.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche in view

Knoydart 2012 014.JPG
view from the summit
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland