walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm Traverse

Meall a' Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm Traverse

Postby sid0995 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 06/12/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 17 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at the Reindeer centre for about 0745hrs where I waited in the car to see if Rudolph and co were about but no joy this time. It got light about 0830hrs so it was time to move!
Reindeer Shop.jpg

I was still pretty tired on this particular Sunday morning but two fierce sounding friendly labradors woke me up rapido as I made me way past the last sign of life for 10miles. Very interesting path up through the trees and towards Lochan Uaine with decent views over to the Cairngorms.
Bird Bath!.jpg

Cairngorm Peaks.jpg

Passed Lochan Uaine with Creag nan Gall leaning over it and a sign letting me know Ryvoan Bothy was not far away.
Less than 1km to bothy.jpg

On arrival at the bothy I had a scout around outside, not satisfied with the perimeter check I went in to find a couple of full sleeping bags and a faint smell of farts! I was going to take a photo but there is probably a law against that! lol
Ryvoan Bothy 2.jpg

Quick cup of tea and onwards and upwards to the summit of Meall a' Bhuachaille
Ascent to Meall a' Bhuachaille 2.jpg

Snow and Moon.jpg

Meall a' Bhuachaille Summit.jpg

Meall a' Bhuachaille Summit 2.jpg

From the summit I could quite clearly see the route of the traverse across Creagan Gorm towards Craiggowrie, unfortunately by the time I hit the peak I discovered my hat had dissappeared so my swede was baltic. No time to hang around as the Everton game was on sky! Got some nice views of Loch Morlich whilst doing this traverse.
Loch Morlich 3.jpg

This walk was a bit like the Blackpool big dipper and before long I'd hit Creagan Gorm summit
Creagan Gorm Summit 2.jpg

After Craiggowrie the descent was very boggy and my feet took a pounding but hey ho, it was the last 4kms
Swampy.jpg

The final straight took me through the forest and past Badaguish Outdoor Centre, arriving back at the car in time for two egg sandwiches and a can of irn bru!
Badaguish Centre.jpg
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Grahams:1   

Re: Meall a' Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm Traverse

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Sid, Everton are on again in 10 minutes and I only hope the result is as good as your photos COYB :thumbup:
Glenrothes

Postby sid0995 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Aye, get down to Goodison as much as possible but living in Nairn its only about 3 or 4 times a season pal! COYB!
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Are we allowed to discuss such topics on here.............. :silent:

0-0 and an 'interesting contest so far. Live a lot closer than you but becoming an armchair fan because the lure of the hills is too strong - shame on me!!!

How is Nairn? Son lived in Elgin for 6 years and it was ALWAYS a pleasure to travel north for parental visiting rights.... :D
Glenrothes

Postby sid0995 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Turned out an entertaining game with a worthy point for us! Phew!
Nairn is sound, originally from Inverness but moved out 5 years ago for the quiet life.
Its not a bad location for these here hills too! Starting off bagging these Corbetts for now solo, with the Munros starting next year with some ex-army pals. :D
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Nice report Sid, I enjoyed this walk when I did it a month ago on a fine day (report in my profile) and even got the bothy all to myself - no farts on that day! It's definitely a bog-fest path on the descent! I let my guard down at the very bottom by that big tree just as you enter the forest and nearly lost my leg in the last bit of bog! I met a few people ascending from that direction who didn't look too chuffed with the path up :lol: I know I took my time that day (6 hours inc stops) but you must have hammered round to do it in 3 hours?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby sid0995 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi HighlandSC! I read your report prior to deciding on which one to do, really enjoyed it. Nice photos you take pal, a far cry from my camera phone but didn't have time to hang around on this occasion! :lol:
I only saw three folk out during my trek (well five if I include the bothy brigade). Doing the 15 mile Tomintoul Spur tomorrow, followed by Carn Mor on Wednesday so I'll stick another couple of reports up on Thursday!
This website is the business, with you being just along the road in Sneck we should get a hill or two done soon. What ya reckon?
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:30 am

Hi sid, I like to try and get good pics but don't take it too seriously - I've just got a decent compact digital camera which does the job for me. I'm sure we can get out at some point (especially if you have a car :D I do drive but sold my car recently and not planning another any time soon) but I'm pretty much done with walking until the new year, and even then I'm not equipped/skilled to go out in the snow up high....are you? I'm getting good at navigation but only started walking a few months ago and still teaching myself more each time. I'm not only interested in munros or 'list' hills as you'll see from my Walks Diary so will consider anything. Give me a shout in the new year if you're making any plans :D If you're looking for regular walking partners, or getting a bigger squad together then you might want to try posting in the Meet up with other Walkhighlands users forum. Cheers
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland