walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn colours, inversion and flat battery at Fersit

Autumn colours, inversion and flat battery at Fersit

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 12/10/2010

Distance: 13 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It being the "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" (as Keats immortally put it) we drove down the Great Glen in thick fog. We parked at Fersit, got booted up and set off up the track past the cottages and over the river and railway heading for Stob Coire Sgriodain.

Stob Coire Sgriodain from other side of Loch Treig a couple of months earlier
DSC01325-larges.jpg

Being in a friend's car I hadn't brought the dogs with me. But after hearing (maybe on here) how someone got an ear-bending from the local farmer about folk with dogs I felt just a bit relieved I didn't have them on this occasion. :?

We took the right fork, passed the metal barn and sheep pens and dodged through a boggy section to pick up a path by the burn on the way up Sron na Garbh-bheinne. It wasn't long before we were in bright sunshine looking down on a carpet of cotton wool. :D

Mist over Loch Treig
DSC01572-large.jpg

View west towards Easains
DSC01573-large.jpg

Creag Meagaidh above inversion
DSC01574-large.jpg

Towards Glencoe
DSC01575-large.jpg

View west and towards Great Glen
DSC01576-large.jpg

View east to Loch Laggan and Beinn a'Chlachair
DSC01578-large.jpg

We followed the course of the burn (which wasn't too boggy) before striking off west towards Sron na Gharbh-bheinne. After a short stiff climb we were on the ridge and from there it was an easy amble to the summit cairn of Stob Coire Sgriodain with its stunning view down into the fiord-like trough of Loch Treig.

Summit cairn of Stob Coire Sgriodain looking north
DSC01581-large.jpg

Loch Treig from summit
DSC01580-large.jpg

DSC01582-large.jpg

From the summit we descended south to a dip then south east up to Sgriodain's south top.

Cairn of quartz on south top
DSC01583-large.jpg

South end of Loch Treig and Glencoe beyond
DSC01584-large.jpg

From the south top we continued over bumps and knolls in an east south east direction, over a double top and down to a wide bealach, then east to the south of Lochan Coire an Lochan.

Lochan Coire an Lochan
DSC01585-large.jpg

After a detour south for views and photos we headed north east on easy slopes towards Chno Dearg.

Approaching rounded hump of Chno Dearg
DSC01586-large.jpg

Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin from slopes of Chno Dearg
DSC01587-large.jpg

Sron Coire Sgriodain
DSC01588-large.jpg

Loch Ossian, Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg and Schiehallion on horizon
DSC01589-large.jpg

Chno Dearg summit
DSC01591-large.jpg

From the summit it was a pathless descent over north west slopes back to Fersit.

Looking back to where we'd been from near Fersit
DSC01592-large.jpg

We were congratulating ourselves on being back at the car in time to be home for tea with our respective other halves. That is until he tried to start his car and discovered the battery was flat. :shock: Driving down the Great Glen in fog he'd had the lights on and had forgotten to switch them off. In my car an alarm would have let me know and he said this should have happened but somehow they were left on and now the car wouldn't start with no one around to jump start us. I thought of the nearby cottages but after the story of the ranting farmer didn't feel too inclined to go bothering folk. :?

He phoned the AA and got a chap who was out on a call and was about to head home so we only had to wait an hour and a quarter before we were sorted - which could have been a lot worse. And we'd had a great day walking in bright autumn sunshine with a morning inversion - so no complaints from me! :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Autumn colours, inversion and flat battery at Fersit

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 am

Beautiful vistas :D The inversion pictures make me jealous... These two hills have a bad reputation of being a bog-feast but from your description it doesn't look too bad at all! Maybe we'll try them in frosty weather.
We climbed the neighbouring two Munros across Loch Treig only three weeks ago, weather wasn't as perfect and blue but we still got good views, this area is great for panoramas, especially south towards Glencoe.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

Postby monty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am

Great photos dogplodder. I done these in terrible weather so nice to see what they look like. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:40 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Beautiful vistas :D The inversion pictures make me jealous... These two hills have a bad reputation of being a bog-feast but from your description it doesn't look too bad at all! Maybe we'll try them in frosty weather.

Frosty weather would be a great time to go! We didn't find them too boggy but it was two years ago which wasn't as wet a summer as we've just had! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby soulminer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 pm

These two do have a bit of a bad rep :wink: Have been up in winter- blizzards :crazy: and in summer- 8) and enjoyed them on both occasions. You seemed to have enjoyed them as well :lol: Great hills for views though, sponging it all in :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 pm

What a lovely day for a lovely walk! :D
Paula Hubens

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 am

monty wrote:Great photos dogplodder. I done these in terrible weather so nice to see what they look like. :D

Thanks Monty. :D

soulminer wrote:These two do have a bit of a bad rep :wink: Have been up in winter- blizzards :crazy: and in summer- 8) and enjoyed them on both occasions. You seemed to have enjoyed them as well :lol: Great hills for views though, sponging it all in :lol:

Skis in winter would be an idea for a quick descent! 8)

Paula Hubens wrote:What a lovely day for a lovely walk! :D

Thanks Paula, it was! :D
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland