walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro 86 - Meall Ghaordaidh

Munro 86 - Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was a groupon deal last year which offered 2 nights stay in the Crianlarich Hotel, a Best Western, with breakfast for £89. Always one for a bargain I bought it and me and Jamie arranged a trip there. At the last minute he remembered that he couldn't make it due to his girlfriend being nominated (and eventually winning) a Bafta for film making!! This was the date he rescheduled it to. I left it all up to him in my rage at him being as unorganised as always! So the plan was that we'd have an easy day, stay the night, harder day, another night, and then an easier day to finish. Today was the easy day.

And to be fair it was. Nothing much to report other than the walk up was quite pleasant, the path was obvious (including the Belfast sink) which Jamie swore would fetch a fortune on ebay.....if only we could get it down!! The top got a bit icy and colder but there wasn't much snow about so our glasading plans were dashed. But we did get a wee ride on a small patch but hardly worth the walk in to be honest! ;-)

With the walk done, and great views of Meall nan Tamarchan, we jumped back in the car and headed to the hotel. Bit of bother with mountain rescue on Ben More but we didn't find out many details. We unpacked, had a wee snooze, then headed into the village to have a wander and go for a drink or two. A pint in the Ben More lodge went down easily and the age old question of the completion of the WHW came up again. The chef sided on Jamie's side but he wore a leather cap so could be discounted! Next we went to Fishers bar for a drink and then finally to the hotel for dinner. Very expensive, but very good. Not really hillwalking trip grub though, more couples date!! Enjoyable none the less, we retired to the room where I had a broken sleep due to the Heald express making it's usual noise!!! Tomorrow Ben Lui was the plan.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland