walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro 89 - Ben Wyvis

Munro 89 - Ben Wyvis

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Keen to start hitting some Munros above the Great Glen I planned a trip away at a bunkhouse close to Ullapool. Not knowing the area at all I decided on an easy munro to start. Ben Wyvis was the target and I left Perth earlyish and arrived at the Wyvis carpark at 11am. The carpark is huge and there were plenty of cars about too, so lots of bodies on the hillside.

Setting off the path is sublime and pleasant walking through the trees with both Wyvises ahead of me made for a great start. The path winds up the side and the higher you get the better the views get. Straight along Loch Glascarnoch was the fearsome An Teallach, the first time I'd seen it in real life. Very impressive, quite scary looking too! But the hill I was on was big soft and cuddly with it's gentle slopes and huge path. Once at the smaller top there was a sign asking you to stick to one of the two massive paths along the wide ridge to avoid erosion. It was then a 20 min walk to the top which was easy enough. From the top the views were extensive and even Ben Nevis could be spied a mere 100km away!!! My favorite was An Teallach however and I was keen to get up there sooner rather then later!

The way back I cut off the top and found the path again all the way down to the bottom. A nice day and a short drive to the Bunkhouse 10km South of Ullapool. A great spot and there was only one other chap there so I had a whole room to myself. After I got showered, headed into Ullapool and then further up to Inverpolly to see the crazy mountain structures they have up there. Back to the bunkhouse to heat up my lasagne, watch Sopranos on my laptop and then early to bed. A fine day :-)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland