walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

off track on glas tulaichean

off track on glas tulaichean

Postby gordon l » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 03/11/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1150472.JPG

So for the first time of the winter we knew there would be snow on the hills.
Love walking in the snow; it's so great to see the hills with their winter jackets on. Off we headed, in the middle of the night to sample the delights of 3 munros from Dalmunzie Castle Hotel at Spittal of Glenshee.Well, the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley.. The line from Burns is quite a good one to bear in mind when preparing for walking in winter. It's good to have a Plan A, B and C in place because the transformation of landscape and the unpredictable weather that comes can make what might be a straightforward summer walk into something altogether more challenging and interesting. The GPS was loaded up with a track I had found which at first glance looked fine, but actually it was only an impression of a walk and turned out to bear no real resemblance to the actual route involved. Lesson duly learned: combine a dodgy GPS route and a dodgy MWIS report and the result may just be one munro bagged via a bizarre thigh-burner of a route and finished off with an icy river crossing in pitch black at the end. Great fun!
P1150431.JPG

It was obvious from early on that the GPS route was no good and because we had gained a bit of height already, we decided to head east directly onto the top of Creag Bhreac and move north west from there to Glas Tulaichean.
P1150434.JPG

P1150439.JPG
actually, obvious route may have been better

This was Plan B. I hoped that it would take us over a Corbett but turned out not to be...Oh well I think it did make for a more interesting way anyway. Mind you we were privileged to see a Golden Eagle soaring away into the white beyond so that made taking the path less travelled worth it.

P1150444.JPG
enjoying the end of the ascent and looking forward to finding our corbett cairn...

P1150441.JPG
but of course, it wisnae there...

Any onwards we went and after a tough hike in very little visibility and thick snow, the top of Glas Tulaichean emerged.
P1150453.JPG
snowmen on glas tulaichean's cairn

P1150454.JPG
In the biting cold and the absence of views, it was here that we opted for Plan C. Carn an Righ and Beinn Lutharn Mhor could wait for another time.

P1150470.JPG
a view! over to Beinn Lutharn Beag

P1150495.JPG
route home beckons

P1150511.JPG
monarch of the glen, surveying his domain

Common sense told us to exit, via the track beside the Alt Ghlinn Thaitneach. Back on level terrain we enjoyed the sight of a massive herd of deer on the slopes to our left. Easily 200 of 'em.
P1150516.JPG
snapshot of the huge herd of deer

P1150522.JPG
our approach took us over these two tops (left to right)

To conclude our own hand-knitted route, we scooted across the river south-east of the hotel, head-torches lighting us across. 'Twas fairly wide, but shallow. We were back at the car, with feet dried by 6.30pm. Good start to the winter season.
Attachments
P1150470.JPG
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Grahams:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:19   

Re: off track on glas tulaichean

Postby MacCookie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm glad that my photo came out! It's a bit troublesome using a wee compact camera with big mitts on!

If you look carefully, you're both visible on the top of the shoulder in this shot here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/8154454749/lightbox/

I take it that you didn't find the bridge that crosses the river upstream of the hotel then?

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Grahams:1   

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 pm

gordon l wrote:our own hand-knitted route
:lol:
That was a good read! Glad you had fun! :D
Paula Hubens

Postby gordon l » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 pm

MacCookie wrote:I'm glad that my photo came out! It's a bit troublesome using a wee compact camera with big mitts on

Ha, yes thanks for that Ewan. Less of a smile for me and more teeth clamped shut to stop the chattering. I think mitts may be the way forward this season. Nice to bump into you

PS yip, we totally missed the bridge and rather go back and look for it (about 0.6km back up the track) we opted for tiver crossing and fence climb back to road
Last edited by gordon l on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby gordon l » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:
gordon l wrote:our own hand-knitted route
:lol:
That was a good read! Glad you had fun! :D

Many thanks, Paula. Definitely a fun day out :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby Sidewinder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Another cracking read lad :clap: looks like you and Leo had a bit of an adventure in the snow :shock: best stick with the old map and compass dude :lol:
Sidewinder
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Postby gordon l » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Sidewinder wrote:Another cracking read lad :clap: looks like you and Leo had a bit of an adventure in the snow :shock: best stick with the old map and compass dude :lol:

Aye, wise advice as always old bean. Look forward to learning more from your good self :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland