walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgairneach Mhor (First in the snow)

Sgairneach Mhor (First in the snow)

Postby dogjake » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Date walked: 03/11/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I spent 40 minutes doing what I thought was a resonable report on this mountain (my first in the snow) and when I was loading the third photo I got a message saying the file was not valid. No problem I thought I go back and take that photo out, no chance I had lost the lot. Is that meant to happen?
Here is a shortened version of my report. Left layby 79 on the A9 nice and early feeling a bit apprehensive when I saw the amount of snow never mind, onwards and upwards. I walked along the good path by the Alt Coire Dhomhain burn and admired the deer along the way. I decided to take the second bridge as I thought the first headed more in the direction of the Sow of Atholl, this took me almost straight to the summit although the track stopped and became a trudge through the heather. About 700m up the cloud was down with visibility at about 10m coupled with this and the fact I had fallen face first into deep snow several times meant I was having doubts about going on, however I saw this as a test of my navigational skills and decided to press on. Once I saw the crags of Coire Creagach I knew I was okay and a short time later i reached the summit. I started to head down and saw three walkers coming of what I think was Beinn Udlamain and shortly after things went slightly wrong. I drifted too far to the right and when the cloud eventually cleared realised I was looking at the Alt Dubhaig Burn and the A9 further south than I had attended. Not to worry I followed this to the Dalnaspidal Lodge where i met Killty Biggles coming off a corbet He was going my way and kindly gave me a lift back to layby 79 and my car. Thanks Alan it was appreciated. Given that this was my first solo walk in the snow I was please with my walk and in the main my navigation. Thanks again to Alan. Incidentally I found a pair of crampons on the hill so if they are yours PM me with a description, I have saved this to draft so will try again with the photos.
Attachments
Staring off from Layby 79.JPG
Starting from layby 79
Looking back on the path to A9.JPG
Looking Back
Deer on the hills.JPG
Deer on the hills
Heading down through the clag.JPG
Heading down
The summit in poor visibility.JPG
The summit
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland