walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms part 2 glenshee

Cairngorms part 2 glenshee

Postby rjpatyou » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 01/11/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 729m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A good night’s sleep and good breakfast and I was ready for off .i had planed a easier walk today at glenshee .But first I had to defrost the car that took 30 mins .then I could get off it was the best day of the week blue skies :D
I was more relaxed about todays short climbs so I set off and slipped on black ice in car park great start . :oops:
Carn Aosda.JPG

there was I bit of ice low down but some snow around as I climb up the sun was beating down quite hot on the back .i was soon to the top of Carn Aosda. where I could get a drink make phone call what difference 2 days ago I couldn’t even take my gloves off then .
Carn Aosda Summit 3.JPG

got the camera in motion taking lots of shots its was great to see over the cairngorms so well it was a steady walk over to Carn a' Gheoidh taking in the views always a good time to check my compass skill and map reading on good day practice makes perfect I do have gps but you can get lazy .I did find some great dog tracks that missed all the bogs below the snow I was soon on top off where I met the dog And some local lads
Carn Aosda to Carn a'Gheoidh 6.JPG

Carn a'Gheoidh summit.JPG

then it was the last walk over to Cairnwell then I saw the 3 lads from my devils point walk we had a chat about our digs and what great day it was then it was quick walk to where I made another call and sent a pic to my mate who was going to come but didn’t just a little gloating lol. a bite to eat some more pics and then it was like a run down hill straight down the ski slope
Carn a'Gheoidh to Cairnwell 4.JPG

A great day in all I stopped and chatted to locals engineers working on lifts they said tomorrow was to be the same so with hop skip jump to the car it was back to digs can’t wait for tomorrow I was planning to walk 1 or 2 munros before home poss as I would have to drive 350 miles back to Yorkshire after wards
The  Cairnwell Descent 3.JPG
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Cairngorms part 2 glenshee

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 am

Nice pics - be carefull of your wee dug in the snow, my mate encountered a man in a bothy whose dog was exhausted by ploughing through snow all day; it died in the bothy that night which was a miserable occasion for all involved.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Cairngorms part 2 glenshee

Postby gyles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Fantastic walk. What a difference in conditions after walking 2 weeks before. I'm fortunate to have missed the snow but well done to yourself to still do them. Hope you returned home safely.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland