walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Awa in foreign climes

Awa in foreign climes

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 am

Route description: Scald Law and Carnethy Hill, Flotterstone

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 02/11/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 887m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pentlands.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So I found myself stuck in the Lowlands on Friday with a whole day to kill.. Itching to get to the hills after a couple of weeks off, I was more than a little frustrated at the lack of walking.. but then Ido usually spoil myself quite badly in that respect ;)
The morning came, I pondered over a map, and decided I would go for a wander around the Pentlands, so I made a piece and set off on the short drive.
I arrived in bright sunshine, although it was a little chilly – pretty good for the time of year. I made my way through the woods on a wee pathy, past the bonny cows.

Across the road and over the burn. The terrain was somewhat grassy, like a golf course almost, and I was starting to think my B1 boots were overkill somewhat! :lol: Wasn’t long afore I was climbing, up a well manicured lawn, with a muddy path that had me slip sliding at points. Fast running legs with no upward or forward progress :lol:

Was just a short wee bit up to the first top – Turnhouse Hill. The views were jaw dropping on the way up – I haven’t seen anywhere so flat probably since I was living in Melbourne.. Just houses and fields and flatness for miles and miles. :o

Geez, it was windy up there too, and I had to adopt the walking at 45 degree position for a while. Well at least the wind was constant, so I wasn’t staggering about like a drunkard :D
From there I could see a shower enveloping hills further down the ridge, in the direction the wind was coming from.. Hmm set for a soaking then..

I made my way down to the coll.. Steep grassy slopes and more mud had my erse wet and mucky in nae time, but the wind subsided a bit and I managed to defrost my icy hands. The path was almost wide enough to be classed as a land rover track up to Carnethy hill, which had an array of shelters, none of them good, which was a little disappointing seeing as the extreme wind now had a fair amount of drizzle in it.

So downward again, in increasingly damp conditions. Still muddy, so more slipping about – I think I need to start using my new boots.. The coll was squelchy, the path up to Scald Law good. There was a trig point at the top, and despite the now pelting rain, some nae bad views roundabouts.

There was a wee hill off the main path, South Black Hill I think it was from the map. I made my way over, and was surprised to find some poor chap trying to hunker down in one of the exceptionally poor shelters that seem to be a feature in these hills. At least it wasn’t quite so windy now.

I made my way back to the main path, and up the steep grassy slopes of East Kip. I looked up and suddenly realised the sky was full of snow. As I ascended it got heavier until visibility was down to a few yards, and every scrap of clothing was on.

East Kip, then West Kip passed beneath my boots, and after some marshy ground I headed off the ridge, down an exceptionally muddy track – I was starting to resemble a cow pat, there was so much splooshy mud about :lol:

As I headed down the track, the sun made a sudden appearance, and the day turned out lovely :D

Saw the strange carvings on a stone..

I could see on my map a castle was marked – Oooh I will have to swing in past I thought! So after a cuppa and my piece sitting on a wall, watching the sheep, I set off to find it. It was easily found (right where it said it would be on the map ;) ) but looked like a private residence. Wont be doing any harm if I just walk up the drive and take a peek, I thought. Halfway up the drive though, a couple of vicious looking dogs appeared barking and growling at me, so I turned heel and ran, shutting the gates to the drive in the nick of time. Geez, if you don’t want visitors, you just need to put up a sign! :lol:
So I took a different path across a field of bonny sheep.. I could see the castle through the trees, and it looked rubbish anyways..

The path took me through a narrow glen, with some rocky outcrops and some scree slopes, and came out next to a fine waterfall, and a nice camp spots. The burn had severely eroded the path, so it was necessary to take to the scree for a few yards – most difficult terrain there was all day :lol:

From there just a short tramp over a couple of grassy fields and I was on the road passing by the reservoir.

I walked out over the dam a way, although it was pretty muddy. The sunshine was lovely, and in the sheltered glen, it was actually rather hot. I sat for a while and laid out my waterproofs to dry in the sun while I had a snooze for 10 minutes.
I carried on down the road, passed another reservoir.. There were rather a lot of folk about in the glen, and I got chatting to a few of them. Everyone in fine spirits on such a sunny day 
When I got a bit further down, I heard the roar of a big waterfall, but there was a rather high wall in the way.. A couple of hundred yards further on though, I spotted a wee pathy down to the river. When I got to the vicinity of the waterfall, there was a fence and signs saying that it was too dangerous to go close, but BC being BC, I jumped the fence, and was so glad I did.

Wasn’t far back from there to the car after that, just a quick trot along the river, past a tree that was eating a bell..

A fine impromptu leg stretch, in 4-seasons-in-a-day weather. I am glad I didn’t waste the day, but I think if these were the best hills I had close by my soul would slowly die tbh :lol:
Last edited by basscadet on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Awa in foreign climes

Postby laconic surf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:13 am

basscadet wrote:[, but I think if these were the best hills I had close by my soul would slowly die tbh :lol:

Welcome to the life of a lowlander :lol:
Ach, had I known you were in town I would have joined you for a wee stroll up the local lumps :wink:
some nice pics and the views are superb for such small hills. My two very local hills Traprain Law and Berwick Law offer the same for a very quick ascent, the surrounding land is so flat that you can see for miles. Good of you to visit the poor (hill) country and appreciate our suffering :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

A fine wee dander with a fair bit of interest on the way, mixed weather, at least the sun shone latterly. Nice waterfall and I like the tree eating bell, something out of the ordinary to say the least. Thank's for sharing :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby bigoggie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm

This TR did make me smile. Akin to someone describing my back garden to me, I live only 5 mins walk from the old Dreghorn rifle ranges and spend much time here. Mountains they are not but as a back drop to a city centre castle and an extinct volcano they are a local panacea for me. That said, they do require all four seasons (not in the one day) and maybe many years to allow them into your heart. In recent winters they did manage to hold snow for an extended period and atop the kips, small as they are, measured in at 9ft+ deep. With something always to be learnt I have never seen that bell and will go and investigate, judging by it's size I think it may be a vent for the culverted water from the res'. Wildlife that can be seen here include Merlin Peregrine Sparrowhawk Raven Ring Ouzel Dotterel Osprey the latter being birds of passage. Otter can be seen by the very lucky at the western end of the park (though not by me yet). There is also a raised bog close to Bavelaw castle a particular place of beauty and sadly a rarity along with it associated insect and plantlife. I am however, after writing this, embarrassed that I have never had the confidence to share any of my walks in these little hills. I promise to remedy this last fact. To conclude, I thank you for posting this walk.
og
bigoggie

Munros:12   Corbetts:1

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm

laconic surf wrote:Ach, had I known you were in town I would have joined you for a wee stroll up the local lumps :wink:

Well if there is a repeat of the circumstances, I'll know who to call :D

The Rodmiester wrote:I like the tree eating bell

Oh I thought it was a bell eating tree :lol:

bigoggie wrote:This TR did make me smile. Akin to someone describing my back garden to me, I live only 5 mins walk from the old Dreghorn rifle ranges and spend much time here. Mountains they are not but as a back drop to a city centre castle and an extinct volcano they are a local panacea for me. That said, they do require all four seasons (not in the one day) and maybe many years to allow them into your heart. In recent winters they did manage to hold snow for an extended period and atop the kips, small as they are, measured in at 9ft+ deep. With something always to be learnt I have never seen that bell and will go and investigate, judging by it's size I think it may be a vent for the culverted water from the res'. Wildlife that can be seen here include Merlin Peregrine Sparrowhawk Raven Ring Ouzel Dotterel Osprey the latter being birds of passage. Otter can be seen by the very lucky at the western end of the park (though not by me yet). There is also a raised bog close to Bavelaw castle a particular place of beauty and sadly a rarity along with it associated insect and plantlife. I am however, after writing this, embarrassed that I have never had the confidence to share any of my walks in these little hills. I promise to remedy this last fact. To conclude, I thank you for posting this walk.
og

Och I know what you mean.. I love hearing about folks adventures round about Braemar for the same reasons.. :)
I wasn't really sure that it was worth a walk report either, but I havent posted a report for ages, and I had a spare hour, so couldnt see the harm 8)
Back to some proper hillyness this weekend thank Atho :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 am

basscadet wrote:So I found myself stuck in the Lowlands

Do you have a passport for that sort of thing? How did you get on with the lingo? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Ah the Galldachd ................ last time i was down that way was with Montrose :lol:

Interesting wee carving did you find out what it was or is it old ? :?
Good pics and report :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Graeme D wrote:
basscadet wrote:So I found myself stuck in the Lowlands

Do you have a passport for that sort of thing? How did you get on with the lingo? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well now we are all in the EU, they dont mind highlanders visiting in Bernicia :lol:
I was fine with the lingo, but some of the folks I chatted to werent really getting on well with mine.. :wink:

Collaciotach wrote:Ah the Galldachd ................ last time i was down that way was with Montrose :lol:
Interesting wee carving did you find out what it was or is it old ? :?
Good pics and report :clap:

I think the carving could of been an OS benchmark.. Not quite right but almost.. weird for it to be on an unworked rock, set into a track though :crazy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_(surveying)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby McLEOD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I,ve been up them hills about half a dozen times in the last couple of months and I haven,t seen half the stuff you saw ? I must be walking aboot with ma een shut :lol:
I must remember to look aboot next time :roll:
cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby heatheronthehills » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Nice pics, looks like you have some lovely hills on your doorstep. What they lack in stature they more than make up for in character. I like the unusual findings of the stone marking and the tree eating bell too :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:70   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Great report B, shame about the weather earlier but at least you got a worm up later and a wee snooze too, what could be better, as for your jaunt toward the castle, this is all I could think of....

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland