walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg

Beinn Dearg

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 am

Route description: Beinn Dearg, Innerwick, Glen Lyon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 28/10/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Dearg - October 2012

I had broken my arm a few weeks before on a walk up some other Corbetts and this was my first solo outing since then.

I chose Beinn Dearg as it looked like a nice half day with no technical difficulties or steep slopes to negotiate and the forecast was good for the Southern highlands. I got there about 13.00 and headed off from Innerwick where I parked in the public car park next to the loos.

I didnt expect to see anyone up here but immediately met some cyclists and then 10mins later a couple from Yorkshire who had been up top with their dogs. The weather was looking good and the Autumn colours looked great against the blue sky back drop. An easy 4 by 4 track leads out of the forest then its over some moorland to the fence posts which easily lead to the summit. Didn’t take very long and the views were great. The Lawers range are very close and views were good in all directions. However I did notice a few rogue snow showers to the north and east and they seemed to be heading my way. Time to head off and back to the track before they hit!!
In fact I almost made it all the way back to the car with out enduring a shower – however 5mins short of the warm of the car the snow moved in. A really nice sight this early season snow against the changing colours of the trees. I was worried however about the snow covering the road back over to Loch Tay – my worries were not confounded though and a safe journey home was had. Bonus that my arm was not too sore though (still cant ride the bike though :( ) – however progress (albeit slow progress) as it was sore for a few days after the trip to Glen Affric!!! :crazy: :roll:
DSC04116.JPG

DSC04087.JPG
Autumn colour

DSC04102.JPG
snow shower
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: First solo walk after fall

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 am

Sweaty Stookie!! Bet that was itchy after the walk?
Good to see your better - that was a fast heal! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazing that people travelled that route to attend the Kirk.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Re: First solo walk after fall

Postby peter tindal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am

Nice, I love this time of the year, the browns and the greens are so nice :)
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland