walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Paddle in Portavadie

Paddle in Portavadie

Postby yellowbelly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Route description: Glenan Bay, Portavadie

Date walked: 03/11/2012

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2.5 km

Ascent: 50m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A weekend away on the Cowal peninsula and after a morning on the beach at Kilbride Bay, we decided to do this walk I found on WH which hadn't been reported before.
It was quite windy and beginning to drizzle when we set off from the car park with the prospect of mud promised. We weren't disappointed, as there was a pallet of plastic footpath mending thingys by the gate. Wellingtons would have been better than boots for most of the walk, apart from a few easy rocky scrambly bits. We needed to bypass the worst bog fests but fortunately Mac, one of our border terriers can usually sniff out the driest route.
This was probably the slowest walk I have ever done and when we reached the part where the text said "it is worth taking a detour on the path to the right to see the abandoned village of Glenan", we both thought, oh no it isn't!
So, heading back along the return shore path, the first photo opportunities arose, here is a small cottage:
DSCF0780.JPG

Me and the dogs on the shore path:
DSCF0783.JPG

Some amazingly shaped old oak trees:
DSCF0785.JPG

The port comes into view with two vessels. One foreign ship was being loaded with felled timber:
DSCF0787.JPG

The marina buildings include a cafe:
DSCF0788.JPG

Back to the car and a short drive to the marina at Portavadie. An interesting old boat seemed to be in the process of renovation:
DSCF0789.JPG

More boats and yachts in the marina which has apartments, restaurants and bars, shops and a spa:
DSCF0790.JPG

I'm sure this walk is really nice after a drier summer, so I hope I haven't put anyone off. The Cowal peninsula in a great place to explore with superb pubs and restaurants.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Paddle in Portavadie

Postby Bod » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:46 am

Cowal for me one day soon, cheers for posting :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Phooooey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Looks a nice little area. Reminds me of Shelbourne, Nova Scotia where we planned on emigrating to.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Lovely to see a bit of something different Yellowbelly, shame it was so wet underfoot but a nice wee wander all the same :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland