walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret

Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret

Postby bio-man » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 06/08/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Chonzie has been described as the 'most boring Munro', but certainly not the route that I took.

I parked at the dam at the end of the water Board track up to Loch Turret. Ben Chonzie can be seen quite a distance away at the head of the loch and at the head of the horseshoe that surrounds the loch. Due to time constraints ( I was getting physio and had gym and pool excercises to do in the morning!!) I had to split, what would have been an excellent day out in half. The result was that I had 2 excellent half days!!

On the first day, I started up the right hand side of the horseshoe by aiming for a large standing stone due NNW of the dam. You will reach a path that skirts the crags then reach the first cairn. The larger cairn at the side of the main track was a very welcome break from the extremely strong wind the stayed for the two afternoons. from there I stayed on the track to Auchnafree Hill. From there, follow the fence to A'Chairidh. Descend to the NW then the excellent but steep Biorach a' Mheannain. Good photos from here. You can see the obvious track to the Munro from Comrie. On the first day, I headed over the top and descended down a faint track through the crags to the head of Loch turret. I walked along the track on the east side of the loch back to the dam. I contoured round Meall na Seide, staying away from the obvious path, then headed to the higher gound about 1/2 mile form the summit of the Ben. An easy walk NE to the summit. If you have navigating problems, there is a fenceline all the way. Word of warning if wearing shorts. the fence has deteriorated and small pieces of wire lie all over the place!! Also, if the weather has been wet, then this route will be muddy and boggy.

A welcome cairn shelter at the summit, then down NE to the path through the crags. This time I stayed on this side of the loch. There is a very faint track back to the dam, but it has the advantage of being flat.

This horseshoe is an excellent way to 'do' this Munro though when it's windy, it's windy!!

On the second afternoon, I started off on the opposite side. Walked along the short track by the side of the loch then upwards to Beinn Laith and from there to Carn Chois.
Attachments
The way up to Beinn Laith2.jpg
Loch Turret and Ben Chonzie2.jpg
Ben Chonzie2.jpg
Ben Chonzie from Choinneachain Hill2.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks for the photos - were you based at Crieff Hydro??

I've edited your post title as I will link to it from the Ben Chonzie Munro page rather than the Glen Lednock route description (as it is a completely separate route). Part of the idea behind the 'Munro' pages is that it gives us a chance to link to other routes on the mountain done by users which were different from the routes we've described - yours is one of the first few of these.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Chonzie from Loch Turret

Postby bio-man » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 am

Cheers Paul....no based at the Northern Police Convalescant Home and Treatment Centre in Auchterarder. An excellent facility and part recipient of sponsorship next year.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland