walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Paps of Jura a day to remember..

Paps of Jura a day to remember..

Postby paulG1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Òir

Date walked: 27/10/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 785m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I moved to Argyll in the summer so I thought that I should make the most of my time here and complete walks that I might not normally have the time, money or perhaps the inclination to do. Hence the Paps of Jura were at the top of my list.
DSC_0186[1].JPG
Paps from the ferry

It was Saturday the 27th of October and the weather was predicted to be the coldest day of the year (so far) however it was to be clear and sunny so this was the best window for me to do the Paps before the winter set in.

I got the ferry from Post Askiaig, and then it is a short Journey across to Jura (approximately 10 minutes). I stayed in the Jura hotel which I would recommend as the staff were very friendly, helpful and the accommodation was nice.

There seems to be little in the way of an established route up any of the Paps, well none that I could glean from residents or indeed this website. So I looked at my OS map and thought that the logical place to start was the Three Arch Bridge a few miles north of Craighouse (the administrative capital of the island).
DSC_0187[1].JPG
start at the three arches bridge
From here it is a boggy but beautiful 2k track which takes you up to Loch an t Siob. This is a truly spectacular walk up to the source of the Corran river with great views of the Paps to the west and North.
DSC_0190[1].JPG
DSC_0193[1].JPG
Loch an t - Siob

Once you skirt round the Loch I made what I would term a mistake however leading from my early point it was just lack of knowledge of the route, I continued on up to the saddle between Beinn an Oir and Beinn a Shiantaidh. From this saddle I headed North up the ridge in what can only be described as a punishing accent on scree to the summit of Beinn an Oir.
DSC_0202[1].JPG
rocky accent
There was a variety of what looked like paths but often they would just end abruptly so from then on I just used my judgment to pick the best route up the hill.
As I reached three quarters of the way up I started to realise why these hills were so famous in walking circles, the views were spectacular, not only of the papas, but the surrounding islands.
DSC_0203[1].JPG
view across to Beinn Chaolais
You could see Islay, Arran Gigha and much more beside.

After coming up the southern side of Bein an Oir I finally reached a short ridge to the top, all my hard work was rewarded with views that were outstanding, and therefore it is without a doubt one of the most unique walks I have ever done in Scotland.
DSC_0204[1].JPG
small ridge to the top of Beinn Oir

My descent was between Beinn an Oir and Beinn Shiantaidh , this was where I feel I made the earlier mistake! There was a perfectly good path all the way down to the Bealach between the two Paps and then down to Loch an t Siob. Therefore I would recommend that if people are going to do one Pap, to get on to this Bealach and pick which one they fancied. (provided it was not Beinn Chaolais)
DSC_0206[1].JPG
Path back down (which i missed on the way up)

The walk back was straight forward enough I followed the path along by the loch and then back to the Bridge, stopping of to say hello to the occasional heard of deer.
DSC_0195[1].JPG
Deer on Jura

All in it was a fine day and as I stepped off the track the weather closed in and covered the Paps up as if it had opened them up just for me. :clap
Last edited by paulG1 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:12

Re: Paps of Jura a day to remember..

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Top stuff - these are some hills to have within easy(ish) reach :D . Looking forward to visiting one day.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dunrig » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:48 pm

great views from the paps - nice to see some photos here is my report of a trip over them from earlier this year http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25397
dunrig

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Great to read your report and see your photos :thumbup: At the beginning of October we stayed on the Craignish Peninsula and could look over to the Paps from our cottage :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Del246 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Fantastic stuff ! My brother in law is from Islay and I keep meaning to go over for these hills.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 am

Love the Paps, nice rocky ascent picture :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:27 am

I've looked over to Jura on my many visits to Mull over the years. Look to be really fantastic hills, really wild.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Alastair S » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Nice one Paul :thumbup:

& welcome to the site :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 am

Lovely - 'tis a nice area to wander round. Once when we stayed over at Bunnahabhain I took the bike over and cycled north from the ferry via Cnocbreac - got up close to 300m just west of the lochan between Beinn Chaolais and Beinn an Oir - looked as though I could have then approached from that side (but was too late having suffered a puncture en route to Port Askaig :roll: ). Would love to go back some day and spend some more time over in Jura and your WR has whetted the appetite - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 pm

malky_c wrote:Top stuff - these are some hills to have within easy(ish) reach :D . Looking forward to visiting one day.

yes they are and the journey to get to them alone is a bit of a pleasant adventure.
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:41 pm

dunrig wrote:great views from the paps - nice to see some photos here is my report of a trip over them from earlier this year http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25397

Excellent report I wish I had noticed it prior to going in October. Thought it was ironic that you stated “You can't miss path up Beinn an Oir” as I did. Lol
Also good shot of the ferry, I quite enjoyed that part of the trip.
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great to read your report and see your photos :thumbup: At the beginning of October we stayed on the Craignish Peninsula and could look over to the Paps from our cottage :D

Cheers! they are well worth a visit, I’m heading back in the summer as you can get the RIB (rigid inflatable boat across) in just one hour from Tayvalich.
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Del246 wrote:Fantastic stuff ! My brother in law is from Islay and I keep meaning to go over for these hills.

well worth a visit. there is always something special about island hills. :D
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Bod wrote:Love the Paps, nice rocky ascent picture :)

Yip there was a moment where I thought that a helmet would have been a good idea due to the incline and looseness of some of the boulders. However as I say in the blog I never went up the path… Lol
paulG1
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Alastair S wrote:Nice one Paul :thumbup:

& welcome to the site :D

cheers for your welcome. :D
paulG1
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland