walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Very Hot Slog up Carn na Drochaide!

A Very Hot Slog up Carn na Drochaide!

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Route description: Càrn na Drochaide, from Linn of Quoich

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Drochaide

Date walked: 02/05/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Second attempt at writing this report - I had almost finished it this morning then my internet crashed and I lost everything, grrrrr.
Try again! And remember to SAVE as you go, silly girl.

May 2012, and we were in Braemar for a week. I had climbed Schiehallion on Sunday with my brother, then Craigendarroch on Tuesday, as well as a very quick walk/run up Creag Choinnich, and a walk through the Morrone woods.

Wednesday came and I fancied something higher again, so I picked this one because it looked like there were some good views and it was quite close to base.

We drove to the Linn O' Quoich car park and I left my boyfriend-with-dodgy-knees with a picnic by the river and I set off along the track. He doesn't mind; he does not get the mountain bug at all!

Starting off along the track:

DSC_0243.JPG

I soon spotted the faint track heading off up the hill on the left, and took it. As I gained height I came to the trees.

DSC_0251.JPG

I had a wee break and a snack and carried on. It was a very hot day and I was wearing far too many clothes!! The views became rather lovely and I started to feel a bit weary. I'm from Orkney and not used to the sun...

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

I headed up Creag a' Chleirich first, and encountered a young Czech man who sensibly was wearing only shorts and boots.
I, in contrast, was wearing hiking trousers, wool socks, gaiters, a T shirt, a shirt, a Joules gilet, a North face jacket and a headband. Thank heaven I remembered my sunglasses!!

We talked, as you do when you are the only two people on a huge hill.
"Scotland is all brown!" he said, a little disappointed. I looked around and had to agree.
He bounded off, to climb Lochnagar the next day.

The gorge Clais nan Cat wasn't very scary. You could walk in and out the other side if you wanted.
DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0267.JPG

Braemar from above - I have sat in our little self catering apartment and looked up at this mountain many times, and now I was up there looking down! It looks so much further from above!
DSC_0269.JPG

The snowy peaks were pretty, and quite a lot of snow considering it was May and rather warm.
DSC_0274.JPG

The walk up to the summit of Carn nan Drochaide was very, very tedious. Mr Czech, I reckon, was much more used to hot weather and better dressed for the occasion. He was out of sight pretty quick and I was feeling like I was going to die of heatstroke, but I was not going to give up so I trekked through the knee deep heather in the direction of the summit, which was out of sight in the shimmering sky.

I stopped about two thirds up and ate most of my food. I took aspirins for my headache and trundled on. Gradually the heather gave way to a rocky plateau. I had read of the many cairns and was wondering which one was the summit, but in the end it was pretty obvious.

It's huge. And at the top, which does give the game away.

I phoned Mum, reassured her I was alive and would be ok as it was all downhill on the way back. Then I ate the rest of my food and drank half the remaining water.
DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

I sat there for a while, savouring the fabulous views, and set off back down. It took no time at all to get back, just one and a half hours.

DSC_0312.JPG

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0322.JPG

Graham had walked along the track to meet me, and so we walked the last half a mile back together and I went and stuck my legs in the freezing river! It was HEAVENLY!
DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

I think that the Linn O' Quoich is one of the loveliest places I've ever seen. Beautiful!
But that was one of the hardest walks I've done, because of the heat. I wish it had been frosty and crisp instead! Glad I did it however, as it is certainly one I won't forget.
DSC_0376.JPG
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: A Very Hot Slog up Carn na Drochaide!

Postby soulminer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm

That is certainly a great way to finish a walk ! 8) Enjoyed reading your report, cheers.
soulminer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks MusicalHiker for posting, I have not done this one yet. Nice way to cool off, must take the swim trunks! :) if I do it on a hot day :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

This was one of my toughest and least enjoyable hill walks too, also on a hot, muggy May day a few years ago. Nice views from up top though.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland