walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An extremely memorable trip for all the wrong reasons :)

An extremely memorable trip for all the wrong reasons :)

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 10/11/2012

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 26.1 km

Ascent: 1649m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glenfinnan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So this weekend, we thought we would go over and do the Glenfinnan munros. Three hills, a whole weekend, sounded simples, despite all the talk of bad weather.
As usual, I set off straight after work on Friday. Surprisingly, dougie and I arrived in the same secluded layby that was going to be the finish point, at exactly the same time! :) I tranferred my pack to his car, and we headed up to the carpark beside the viaduct at Glenfinnan.
The walk up to Corriehully bothy was an easy stroll in the dark on a tarmac road. The viaduct felt like a looming presence, and there were some strange noises from the hydro scheme, but after the bright lights of the car, our nightvision was zero.
We arrived at the bothy to find it packed out with teenagers, with one older guy trying to grumpily sleep on a bench :lol: We decided that it would be best to get the tent out, so we pitched it on a cracking spot right next to the river. I love walking into places in the dark so that you get the full impact of the glen when you awake in the morning!
After a good nights sleep, we awoke to some pretty heavy clag..

But we had expected less than perfect conditions, and weren't too bothered as we set off up the track, and found the handily signposted path up to the ridge, after just a short distance. The path was pretty well maintained, steady progress was made, and we soon had a view back down the glen to the viaduct :D

The weather was a lot warmer than we expected, so it was hot work ascending the ridge despite the showers that came and went. We were soon up in the clag, the going was mostly steep and rocky with the odd scramble to make things more interesting. Views were occasional and fleeting.. You know the kind of day where the views disappear every time you get the camera out? :lol:

Many false summits later, we finally hit the first icy summit. The 'severe windchill' that was forecast, finally putting in an appearance :roll:

Onward along the ridge without much of a stop to get chilled, it felt a long way up and down a lot of minor bumps. We stopped in a bealach for lunch, but the rain, sleet, hail and snow became more persistent and the scrambles less fun. I had a cold which meant my drippy nose was almost unbearable :D Oh the joys of this game are infinate :lol:

We knew we must be getting close to Sgurr Thuilm because it was getting colder and snowy again. The path curved round in a frustratingly long (but I spose easy cambered) route, and as we made the cairn, we were pelted with high speed hailstones. I was tired, needed to eat, but there was no chance of stopping :(

We retraced our steps a way before we finally picked a route down to Gleann a chaorainn, which now it was 3pm, we had decided would be our resting place for the night.

The descent turned out to be pretty horrific. We were in the lea of the hill, so we were spared the wind, but the rain beat down hard. The terrain was boggy, slippery and latterly steep and craggy. I was picking my way down a crag when I managed to somehow bash my knee. the pain was pretty immense and I fell into the bog below, writhing in agony. I felt bad for poor Dougie, I know what it feels like to see someone go down like that on the hill and it isnt pleasant. Fortunately after a few minutes I was back on my feet, albeit even slower moving than before. I don't think either of us have ever been so pleased to make it down into a deserted glen :lol:
Our campspot was picked when my knee gave way completely, so I lay in the bog while Dougie scouted nearby options.. We settled for a spot that was barely big enough, and only just flat enough, but it did us proud :)
After the faff of removing and stashing wet gear, we snoozed for an hour had tea and soup then slept some more until dinner later on. Definately one of our tougher days on the hill :wink:
The morning came, I was up early,but just couldnt get going - I just felt awful :? Dougie woke at 9.30 and looked miffed I had let him sleep so late, but I knew that Gulvain was going to have to wait for another day, so I didn't think it mattered. The way I felt, even walking out the few miles was going to be a huge challenge. I rested until lunchtime in the hope that I would make a miraculous recovery, but eventually the time/light phenomenon dictated that we would have to go, or spend another night on the hill,and we were expected back..
The packing up took twice as long as normal.. Just a few hundred metres up to the bealach and it would be all downhill back to Corryhully along a track, sounds easy right? :D Well those few hundred metres took over an hour. I had to stop frequently to steady myself against the nausea. I told Dougie at least 3 times that I would never make it :lol: Oh what a drama queen I can be sometimes :lol:
We stopped at the watershed for a rest, before the seemingly long trek down the track. I remember startling a young Stag and trying to take a picture of him, but all I have on the camera is some blurs :) The track crossed the burn several times, and all those dizzy river crossings were nerve racking. The time passed in a daze, and we were soon in familiar territory, heading past the bothy. The lights were on and it still looked busy :roll:
I really struggled those last couple of miles, had to stop frequently, and each time the pack had to come off and Dougie would have to help me on with it again after. What a star for not getting too grumpy with me! :clap: I think I would still be out there if I had been by myself :lol:
So another trip that didnt go to plan.. Oh well, I'll nae forget it in a hurry and will no doubt laugh about it for a long time to come :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: An extremely memorable trip for all the wrong reasons :)

Postby heatheronthehills » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Sounds painful :( Also really surprising to hear how busy things were on a November day with a bad forecast :crazy:

We are hoping to do these hills sometime over the next week. Do you recall whether there were any signs in the car park near the Viaduct saying 'no overnight parking'? We've got a camper and were hoping to stay there overnight before our walk.
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm

oh no, I hope your knee is recovering quickly.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm

heatheronthehills wrote:Sounds painful :( Also really surprising to hear how busy things were on a November day with a bad forecast :crazy:

We are hoping to do these hills sometime over the next week. Do you recall whether there were any signs in the car park near the Viaduct saying 'no overnight parking'? We've got a camper and were hoping to stay there overnight before our walk.

The teenagers were just having a wee get-togther - they weren't hillwalkers I don't think. The bothy is very easily accessible so no real surprise it was busy. Can't see any problem with parking at the viaduct, however :) .

basscadet wrote:What a star for not getting too grumpy with me!

:oops: och, it was no trouble at all. Just glad I was there :) . We still got another 2 under the belt despite all the other stuff :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Good Lord, that's a mountain nightmare :shock: :shock: Well done despite all the problems :clap: :clap: Hope your injury heals quickly... I bashed my knee on the hills last year, it took me 6 months to recover. Knees can be awfully slow to heal and it's so annoying when you feel like climbing but you can't!

It seems that most of the snow has melted since the previous weekend. On Sunday the 4th, we climbed Beinn Loine in Glen Shiel, a mere Corbett but the final 200m of the climb was a hard work, snow up to our knees in places. I looked at Ben Wyvis yesterday and it's almost completely black. Hopefully winter comes back quickly...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Dhia na grassain .... Man up :wink: .... sounds like a bit of a nightmare ! . You ll be glad to save Gaor Bheinn for a good day she is an awkward old cailleach that one and no quick way in or out ,fine hills though i know them well 8)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Aye, the warm spell fair knocked the snow back for another wee while.. As for the knee, it doesn't feel too bad, but then again, I've been resigned to the couch since my return, still unable to hold anything down :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby laconic surf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Well done on getting out there in this dreich weather. I've been a coward and been bagging sub2k's to stay below the cloud base - having spent most of the "summer" walking on clagged out munros, i'd got a bit fed up of nae views so have promised myself to wait until clearer skies appear :?
Sorry to hear about the knee - hope it's on the mend. I've been looking forward to walking with you in Glencoe, though if its still not 100%, i may have a chance of keeping up with you :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby jonny616 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Hope the knee is better soon. I still have these to do, but i won't be carrying a tent & stuff. :crazy:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby madasa mongoose » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 am

Oh dear BC, that's not good :( but well done for battling on :clap: The plus side is you can use this to your advantage until Dougie susses you out. Just keep telling him he's wonderful for carrying your rucksack, making your tea etc. but don't let him catch you boogying behind his back :wink:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:05 pm

heatheronthehills wrote:We are hoping to do these hills sometime over the next week. Do you recall whether there were any signs in the car park near the Viaduct saying 'no overnight parking'? We've got a camper and were hoping to stay there overnight before our walk.

From looking back at my TR on this I don't think there is a sign and there was someone who'd obviously been there overnight when we arrived at 8.00 am so you should be fine. :wink:

Hope you'll soon be feeling the better of some down time BC. :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Oh dear; that knee sounds sore right enough :( - it must have been pretty awful lugging a tent and associated paraphernalia back from the bothy with that injury; well done though :clap: .
Hope you're back in action soon :) !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby basscadet » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments and concern :oops: :thumbup:
Managed back to work today, appetite is back so could eat a scabby horse :crazy:
The knee isn't giving me any jip at all unless I poke at it.. so I've been trying nae to poke at it, but its a surprisingly difficult habit to break :lol:
Dont know about this weekend, but I invisage a return to form (unless hit with the mystery bug ;) ) for the meet next week - yaay! :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Good to hear you're back fighting fit :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Great report B, even if it is about a pretty miserable experience :shock: glad to see you are feeling better already, and for god sake STOP POKING THE DAMN KNEE :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland