walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh on a beautiful day :)

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh on a beautiful day :)

Postby MusicalHiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Route description: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, near Drumnadrochit

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 10/08/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was August, on a stinking hot afternoon and I was staying in Cannich for a week, mainly to play some gigs in the area but also to do some walking; we had driven down the west coast and I had climbed Suilven on August 5th and since then the weather had continued to be wonderful. Too warm if anything!
This hill seemed smallish and it was nearby, but finding it wasn't so easy!
If you are coming from Cannich, turn right at Drumnadrochit. From Inverness, go through Drumnadrochit. Either way, there's a turn off to the right to Bunloit and the road is incredibly, clutch-burningly steep. I thought our ancient Rover might explode, but it was ok ( it left the dying/exploding until we returned home).
We parked up, about 2pm, and Graham, the other-half-with-bad-knees, settled down to read a book and snooze in the sun.
I set off along the path, in the roasting sun.
DSC_0084.JPG

The hill (I can't say it or spell it, so it shall be referred to as "the hill") was clearly visible and I reckoned on three hours or so. I walked through the woodland and began to climb the hillside, on a narrow but clear path. The sun was beating down very warmly, and to be quite honest I would have preferred a frost! I'm not keen on the heat!
DSC_0085.JPG

Most of the walk is a gradual ascent of a wide ridge. Nothing too strenuous although it did seem to go on for ages on the way up.
The last section was very steep and boggy, and there is a false summit, but eventually I scrambled up to the top and wow! What a view!
You could see Ben Nevis on the west coast on the one side....
DSC_0088.JPG

Not sure what these ones are, but very pretty!
DSC_0090.JPG

Here I am, happy as can be!
DSC_0098.JPG

And to the east, all along Loch Ness to Inverness!
DSC_0105.JPG

I sat up there, muched my food and phoned Mum, who was as usual pretty amazed/horrified that I was alone on top of a mountain.
DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

Here's one I tweaked a bit...
DSC_0108.JPG

I began my descent, and met only one person, a man wearing only shorts and boots who was RUNNING up the hill. Crazy!!
I kind of jogged down parts of the return route, as I was worried Graham would be worried. He was worried I would worry about him being worried..... I was worried about that!!!
DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

Here's the huge stile over the deer fence.
DSC_0122.JPG

A final look at the hill....
DSC_0123.JPG

And it was back through the woodland and back to the car, to find that Graham had been along to the Drumnadrochit cake shop just before closing and had been given lots of FREE CAKES!!!! Thank you, cake lady!
DSC_0129.JPG

I really enjoyed this hill; great for views and a bit of exercise without being too big and strenuous. Managed to spot a tick BEFORE it bit me as well.
Got bitten for the first time while cycling Glen Strathfarrar a couple of days earlier, so I was on the lookout!
Love to do this one in winter, it must be gorgeous :clap:
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh on a beautiful day :)

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 pm

These are some of the best pics I've seen of this hill.

It's a very special hill to me. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice report. I remember admiring the outline of this hill from Ben Tee in July. And I well remember the day you did this walk. I was on Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe en route to the WH meet in Braemar, and it was mucho scorchio! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:05 am

dogplodder wrote:These are some of the best pics I've seen of this hill.

It's a very special hill to me. :D

Thank you. It was your report in particular that made me want to climb this hill!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 am

Graeme D wrote:Nice report. I remember admiring the outline of this hill from Ben Tee in July. And I well remember the day you did this walk. I was on Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe en route to the WH meet in Braemar, and it was mucho scorchio! :D

Braemar in the heat - hard going! Give me a frost or a crisp Autumn morning any day....
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland