walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Charlie is my darling

Charlie is my darling

Postby DougieB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 01/11/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left the holiday cottage in Freuchie at 0800 and drove to the car park at the head of Glen Doll. Set off at 1000 and followed the track the trough the forest past the Lodge with Kareen and Heather and Molly and Poppie.

Kareen, Heather, Molly, Charlie and Poppie
Kareen and Heather returned to the centre after 30 min and I carried on into Corrie Fee with Charlie.
Charlie in Corrie Fee

The path was excellent and made the climb at the corrie headwall easy apart from a few icy patches.

The plateaux was easily reached where the ground was covered in an inch or 2 of fresh snow. From the top of the path it was an easy stroll to the summit of Mayar which was reached in just over 2 hours.

After a brief stop for some photographs and a bite to eat when Charlie ate my mince pie while I took some panoramas. From Mayar it was quite an easy walk to Little Driesh and then onto Driesh over snow covered ground. I spent some time at the large cairn taking more photographs before heading back.

Bobby Bear (10th Lincoln Beaver's mascot)

Charlie at Dreish's cairn
The walk off was down the Shank of Drumfollow path and then through the forest back to the centre where I met Kareen walking Poppie. I got back to the car just after 1500. The weather was excellent with great views.

Charlie in the snow

Route off
DougieB
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3

Re: Charlie is my darling

Postby brpro26 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Holiday cottage in Freuchie....well you learn new things every day.
Looks like you had a great day up there. Corrie Fee's a great walk in.

Hope you've been up the Lomonds after staying so close to them?
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Charlie is my darling

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Looks like a cracking day for the hills Dougie B, fabulous views!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland