walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Loinne - snowy adventure and a magical sunset

Beinn Loinne - snowy adventure and a magical sunset

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Route description: Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Loinne

Date walked: 04/11/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 640m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Loinne is a rather neglected Corbett in Glen Shiel area, at the eastern end of the South Ridge. Not very convenient for combining with other mountains and quite wet, it doesn't attract much attention from hillwalkers, which is a great shame :( Well, it may not be as tackling as the surrounding Munros, but it's well worth doing, especially on a good day when the summit panorama is "available" :lol:
Kevin climbed Beinn Loine in February 2005 - the day was far from perfect but what I found in his albums only whetted my appetite:
P2270040.JPG
Looking west to Glen Shiel mountains from the summit of Beinn Loine

We had a great day weather-wise on Saturday, Sunday seemed a bit more cloudy and it was hard to guess where and when the best weather will eventually arrive. We had a few different options in mind, from re-doing Ben Wyvis, climbing Ben Hee in the far north all the way to something in the Cairngorms, but the final decision fell on Beinn Loinne. For the main reason that it's easy enough to tackle in winter and half of the climb is on a good tarmac road.

Track_04-NOV-12 CLUNIE.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I have recently "completed" the north side of Glen Shiel, now it was time to bite into the other half :lol: :lol:
As we arrived by Cluanie Inn, the cloud hung low and the conditions weren't as great as we hoped for, the day was grey and somehow depressing :(
We left the car in a small car park at the start of the old Cluanie - Tomdoun road. The track looked good and we still held hopes high for the better weather to arrive...
Soon after we began walking, some light appeared at the eastern end of the South Ridge:
Am Bathach still gloomy:
It was an easy start to the day, the distance to the summit is 9 km but as more than half of it can be walked on the tarmac road, we regarded it more like a Sunday stroll than Sunday adventure.
We quickly reached the stone bridge over the stream Allt Giubhais, the starting point for South Shiel Ridge:
View down from the bridge, towards Loch Clunie:
Having followed the road to the height of 430m we realised that we were already half way to the summit, without much effort :lol: :lol:
Our Corbett still cloud-free but not as close as I hoped for:
Creag a Mhaim, in the opposite to Beinn Loinne, kept its head high in the cloud and the perspective of scrambling up that misty slope gave me bad shivers... Thank heavens we were not tackling it today!
We continued along the tarmac road for a few more minutes, looking for the most suitable place to turn east towards the summit of Beinn Loine. Sadly, conditions were getting worse rather than better :(
Even with all the grey sadness around us, we were definitely NOT in a mood to give up - now, with the harder half of the climb still before us...
We dived into the moorland and soon found out that it actually looks boggier than it is. We managed to avoid peat hags and muddy puddles quite easily. Without any complications, we reached the top of the unnamed shoulder (540m) and I was beginning to regain my hopes for a sunny summit, when... bang! Suddenly the heavens opened and we found ourselves in the middle of a heavy shower!
Waterproofs came out, cameras went into rucksacks. We continued up the slope, higher up the ground is less squelchy. I imagine on a sunny summer day this hill would be a piece of cake :D
The rain stopped eventually and we entered the snow zone...
It wasn't as cold as the previous day, the snow was wet and sticky, but I still liked the new experience :lol: :lol: Event though with all the waterproof layers on I looked like a balloon ready to take off :wink:
The summit is there somewhere...
The top was in cloud :( here goes the perspective of nice panoramas... It was unbelievably dark as for the middle of the day and the cloud was so grey it reminded me more of smoke. Mountains on fire! If it wasn't for the whiteness of the snow, we would have needed torches!
Looking down towards the western end of Loch Clunie:
North Glen Shiel Ridge has been nicked!
The higher we climbed, the harder the workout. My muscles started aching and I felt they needed some sugar boost, so we took a short cookie break about 150m below the summit - we were just below the level of the cloud and we expected a full whiteout in a few minutes...Kevin prepared his GPS and I held the map - a good combination of items in such conditions. For the rest of the climb, he would read grid refs from his device and I would place us on the map - good team work :D
So where the hell are we? Looks like the middle of nowhere! :lol: :lol:
The prince of darkness is coming :shock: :shock: Or the seven riders of the apocalypse :shock: :shock: It must have been the gloomiest, darkest day in my mountain-career!
The final 100m of climb turned out to be a winter-wonderland experience, snow up to our knees in places, visibility - null, plus the snow was also falling from the sky :lol: :lol: :lol: And strangely, I was all happy and singing...
jing-jing-jingle bells...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was a different adventure to what I expected, but an adventure nevertheless:
loine2.jpg
Kevin tackling the snowy slopes

Eventually, we reached the summit...
loine4.jpg
Hooooray! I can see the summit trig point!!!

The last few steps...
loine6.jpg
Not far now!

As I feared, we didn't get any views from the summit, but I was in who-cares mood :lol: :lol:
loine9.jpg
That's all we saw...

My summit photo:
We used the trig point as a serving table and treated ourselves to hot cuppa and a snack, but there was no point staying there for much longer, especially as it was getting late, so we set off to get back down:
Actually, we didn't really have to worry about time - all we had to do was returning to the tarmac road before the sunset :D
The gloomy weather was slowly shifting north and west:
...and suddenly, we became witnesses to an unbelievable change!
The sun-and-cloud spectacle revealed!
The summit behind us was now clearing :evil: :evil: :evil:
As if the nature wanted to compensate us the disappointment of no-view-summit - we were given the chance to witness a magical mountain sunset... here are a few snapshots from the last moments on the hills:
Carn Mhaim and a little lochan:
Looking south to Lochaber hills:
North Glen Shiel mountains:
Am Bathach & Ciste Dhubh:

The distant Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan:
A'Chralaig:
Close-up to the summit - no one in sight. There shouldn't be anybody at this time of the day...
We reached the tarmac road about an hour before the sunset and spent the rest of the autumn evening strolling down the hill, facing the snowy giants and observing the local inhabitants...
...while they watched us. Good evening, Rudolph :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was a truly magnificent evening!
Sgurr nan Conbhairean and friends:

I wish better conditions had arrived a couple of hours earlier...
Loch Clunie sunset:
Walking back towards Clunie Inn:
Our Corbett now clear... that's not fair... But on the other hand, the nature compensated us with a beautiful sunset, so we didn't dare complaining...
If this was the entrance to the forthcoming winter season, I'm definitely ready for more!!! Meow!

At last, I have caught up with my reports, mainly because we didn't go anywhere last weekend (different types of duties, life is not all pleasure and hiking). Sadly, the snow has melted since our Beinn Loine walk, but I keep my fingers crossed for more winter wonderland adventures yet to come :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Re: Beinn Loinne - snowy adventure and a magical sunset

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Lovely photographs :D , the early morning browns of the hills :) , the evening snow capped mountains and of course the deer :) . Maybe just as well you had not too much of a view on top as you might of spied the Meall Dubh wind farm to the East of the A87 :( , and that certainly would have spoilt your day. I could not believe what I was seeing the last time I visited Glen Shiel driving East on the A87 alongside Loch Clunie, on the horizon those monstrosities :shock:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Another beautiful day in the hills BP......well ok then not so beautiful to start off but at least it finally did clear up for you and you certainly got some cracking pics when it did.....you are becoming a Corbetteer extraordinaire :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby robertphillips » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Well done bp

this is a good hill, done this the same day as yourselves but from glen loy dam from the east, seen fresh footprints in the snow at the summit must have been yourselves. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:405   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:25

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Many thanks, folks! :D :D Again, I was hoping to do some advertising to two less popular hills (Beinn Loinne as well as my previous TR on Carn Chuinneag - two usually overlooked Corbetts).

The Rodmiester wrote:Lovely photographs :D , the early morning browns of the hills :) , the evening snow capped mountains and of course the deer :) . Maybe just as well you had not too much of a view on top as you might of spied the Meall Dubh wind farm to the East of the A87 :( , and that certainly would have spoilt your day. I could not believe what I was seeing the last time I visited Glen Shiel driving East on the A87 alongside Loch Clunie, on the horizon those monstrosities :shock:

Wind farms - :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I don't know exactly when this farm was built but it must have been very recently - Kevin was lucky, he climbed Meall Dubh in March 2005, and in his set of photos I didn't notice a single wind farm! Back then, it was a good walk though as he said, very muddy... Here's a taste of the view:
P3020110.JPG
Glen Shiel from Meall Dubh

I still have to climb this one and I wonder how to avoid the wind farms now...

ChrisW wrote:Another beautiful day in the hills BP......well ok then not so beautiful to start off but at least it finally did clear up for you and you certainly got some cracking pics when it did.....you are becoming a Corbetteer extraordinaire :lol:

Merci beaucoup :lol: :lol: I usually keep Corbetts for autumn-winter walks, as many of them are easy walks so they fit nicely into short fall days... A quickie in the neighbourhood :wink: But now, I'm running out of easily accessible Corbetts up north... Time to move on to Grahams and Sub 2000's maybe...

robertphillips wrote:Well done bp
this is a good hill, done this the same day as yourselves but from glen loy dam from the east, seen fresh footprints in the snow at the summit must have been yourselves. 8)

I'm definitely returning to this one at some point, on a better day weather-wise. Had the cloud lifted earlier, we would have probably spotted each other... We left the summit at 2 pm so you must have seen our footprints - there was nobody else climbing Beinn Loinne from "our" side. :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Some beautiful photos here BP, especially the ones north over Ciste Dubh, Am Bathach, A' Chralaig e.t.c.......

I've had my eye on this one a few times but always seemed to look away at the last minute! :( :(
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland