walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn in Glen Tanar

Autumn in Glen Tanar

by morag1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Route description: Glen Tanar pinewoods, near Aboyne

Date walked: 14/11/2012

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Autumn in Glen Tanar

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Good stuff and that photo of Mount Keen, Lochnagar and Morven is a beauty :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm

mountain thyme wrote:looks a nice wee walk morag

Hi mountain thyme it was really enjoyed being out and about :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff

Ta Johnny, you just made my day :wink:
morag1

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Nice report Morag, the views towards Lochnager is superb :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Torridon_snails » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi Morag,

That's another lovely report you've posted - we really liked the stones and the history. Before our holiday in Ordie in 2009, we'd been in Aboyne for a play which I was doing the music for at a private house there. The lady who hosted it recommended Glen Tanar but we didn't get around to going there. Sadly she has died now so we're not sure if we'll go or want to go. Perhaps we should though as it would be a kind of celebration of her life and the lovely few days we had there with her and her family and the others in the play. Anyway, it was really nice to see your pictures and read your thoughts on it.

Sorry we haven't been in touch for so long - it's been really difficult to find time to do WH things - just getting back into it. The Torridon piece went really well in May - I was really pleased with how it was performed. The music's quite likely not your cup of tea (classical, slightly modern, I suppose) but Murdoch MacDonald's words are amazing - if you're interested there's some stuff about it on:

http://cdgordon.org.uk/dcmps/Torridon_FS/index.php

With best wishes,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby morag1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm

L-Hiking wrote: the views towards Lochnager is superb

Thanks for the compliment L-Hiking, there was something special about the lie of the land at that particular point :D

Torridon_snails wrote:we really liked the stones and the history

Great to hear from you Daniel and I'm glad you liked the report. I think you and Clare should try to visit Glen Tanar, it's a magical place. This website gives details of some holiday cottages in the area.

Sent you a PM :D
morag1

Postby heatheronthehills » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Nice report and great photos, the colours are just stunning! Did this walk back in September and everything was still so green then.
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 am

Torridon_snails wrote:Great to hear from you Daniel and I'm glad you liked the report. I think you and Clare should try to visit Glen Tanar, it's a magical place. This website gives details of some holiday cottages in the area.

Sent you a PM :D

Many thanks. Perhaps one day we'll get to Glen Tanar... We'll look forward to the PM (doesn't seem to have arrived yet!)

Very best wishes,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

heatheronthehills wrote: Did this walk back in September

Really interested to know that Heather, we have met a lot of nice people in Glen Tanar, I always like to know where everyone is walking, the Pine Tree walk seems to be very popular :D

Torridon_snails wrote: We'll look forward to the PM

Hope it's arrived now :thumbup:
morag1

Postby nbrannigan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm

lovely photos and it looks like a great walk I will be going threre soon and will try to go on that walk :D
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ilovescotty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Looks like a great walk, have you done any walks through Glenmore Forest on the Rothiemurcus Estate? Stunning wildlife and amazing scenery!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby ccromar10 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Robert Smith talks about Baudy Meg in 'Grampian Ways', a book about all the old drovers roads across the 'Mounth' from Aberdeen to Braemar. I don't have the book handy so cant check the story, but Baudy Meg is named after a local woman, presumably named Meg. I'll have to find the book and post a better explanation! There is also a story about the ghost of a stag roaming the hillside around Baudy Meg, but again I can't quite remember the full story.

Another good book on the area is John Michie's 'Deeside Tales' - he talks extensively about the etymology of 'Tanar', among other things. This book I do have - Tanar comes from the ancient Celtic language spoken by the 'Marsi' tribe (I think this is where the name 'Mar' in Braemar and the surrounding area comes from) who inhabited the area, and means 'noisy, loud-sounding stream'. The same word stem is used in the name of the river Tanaro in Northern Italy.

Both books are available on Amazon and worth a read if you are interested in the area.

Callum
ccromar10

Munros:62   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm

The Haunted Stag, we walk this all the time - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18319

" There are two marker stones that are a memorial for an event in 1877 when the Laird of Glen Tanar shot an elusive Stag at a distance of 81 metres".

PS. Morag has left the site so wont be able to answer - does anyone know why she left?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ccromar10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks for that link.
Didn't realise this post was so old, I suppose it might be interesting for others!
Cheers
ccromar10

Munros:62   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Looks a great walk, I really enjoying walking in pretty woodland like this
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Torridon_snails » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi - sorry for posting so late to the recent replies on this, and indeed for our inactivity on WH for a few months - we've looked at some wonderful things but haven't got round to posting - very remiss of us. Hope to post again soon.

Anyway, we don't think you should worry about it being an old report - the stuff about place names and marker stones was really interesting.

But we're sorry to hear that Morag has left the site. We don't know why, so just hope she's OK. She posted some lovely photos and reports - very thoughtful.

All the best,

Daniel and Clare (Torridon_snails)
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland