walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag an Loch & An Dun

Creag an Loch & An Dun

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Route description: Gaick Corbetts: An Dun and Meall Creag an Loch

Corbetts included on this walk: An Dùn, Maol Creag an Loch (A' Chaoirnich)

Date walked: 29/10/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Like most hills, you like to climb them on a nice clear day and for me i'd been saving these two for one of those days. The reason for this was i knew they were going to be tough due to the steepness of them and reading reports confirmed this. Monday was looking good, with the forecast for Calvine being clear with sunny spells so this was to be the day. I set off from the A9 just after 9 on the bike with the intention of climbing An Dun first then over to Creag an Loch but after taking a wrong turn which led to the Lodge i was asked to climb Creag an Loch first as stalking was taking place which wasn't a problem. After my wee detour i was back on the track and arrived at the Lodge in just under 1 hour, passing an older gent along the way who was also climbing them both. He was walking in so hats off to him and after a wee chat i continued to the end of the trees where i left the bike, crossing very boggy ground to gain the ridge to Creag an Lochan. To this point the weather had been fine but then it changed with firstly dark cloud and clag coming in followed by rain and snow later on. It was going to be one of those days and by now i was well hacked off as i continued to climb Creag an Loch. I decided to cut across the first top and out of the corner of my eye i saw a cairn and for some strange reason headed for it and took it as the summit even though i was sure i was allready heading for the actual summit. As previously said i was hacked off and couldn't be bothered to check the map and to be honest i wasn't even bothered if it wasn't the summit. I then made my way off Creag an Lochan down a steep gully that brought me out near a bridge over the river, it was now snowing. I now had the steep climb up An Dun to look forward to as the snow and wind battered me, stopping for wee drinks as i climbed. I hadn't eaten by the point which was unusual for me and wasn't in the mood for food. I eventually slogged my way up to the summit plateaux passing the two cairns before descending the steep south slopes back to the lodge to collect my bike. It was hear i forced myself to have something to eat before i cycled back out. On my cycle out, just after half way, i caught up with the older gent who was 70 and i decided to walk out with him. He had decided to just do the one as he found it too slippy descending Creag an Loch and was also none to pleased with the weather forecast. We walked out chatting about our hillwalking adventures before saying our goodbyes. I returned to Creag an Loch just over three weeks later this time to climb to the actual summit, again in poor weather but no snow this time. This walk will stay with me for all the wrong reasons and not just due to the walk but due to tragic news i recieved on my journey home.
Nov 12 131.JPG
Start, Gaick Pass

Nov 12 133.JPG
Am Meadar

Nov 12 134.JPG
An Dun & Creag an Loch

Nov 12 136.JPG
Glen

Nov 12 137.JPG
Path up Creag an Loch

Nov 12 138.JPG
Large cairn, NOT the summit

Nov 12 139.JPG
Route down

Nov 12 140.JPG
Down

Nov 12 141.JPG
Allmost down

Nov 12 143.JPG
An Dun

Nov 12 144.JPG
About to climb An Dun

Nov 12 145.JPG
View back down

Nov 12 146.JPG
Creag an Loch

Nov 12 147.JPG
Cairn 1

Nov 12 148.JPG
Cairn 2

Nov 12 149.JPG
Snow

Nov 12 150.JPG
Loch

Nov 12 152.JPG
Creag an Loch

Nov 12 153.JPG
Towards the Lodge

Nov 12 154.JPG
An Dun

Nov 12 155.JPG
Bike

Coe 010.JPG
Creag an Loch summit 17 days later
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Creag an Loch & An Dun

Postby mgmt! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm

brilliant johnny, to go back and re climb a hill because you didnt get to the summit shows your devotion to this hillwalking malarkey. well done.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Doesn't sound the cheeriest of days :? . I sometimes struggle to feed and water myself properly on the hills as well despite knowing better :roll: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

youre mastering those self summit pics :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland