walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Merrick - simples

Merrick - simples

Postby old danensian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Route description: The Merrick, from Loch Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 18/11/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 866m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve been re-reading some of Jim Perrin’s old articles recently and was reminded of the following snippet as my daughter and I descended from Merrick on Sunday.

“... we take ourselves pretty seriously. We give our rock-routes and our literary productions these echoey, portentous titles. We inflate our deeds, philosophise into our beards, sports bras or whatever, elevate self-preservation and invited catastrophe to noblest status, perfect the faraway gaze and the lifted profile ...”
Jim Perrin, Batos and the American Dream (2003)

So I considered, in keeping with his expectations of our sorts, a little light embellishment.

Maybe a dash of hair-raising drive through an arctic Glen Trool village (well it did briefly touch -3) could be laced with a shot of things left behind – barely left with a tee-shirt and flip-flops. Did I recall wandering fruitlessly for hours on end across mist shrouded moorland? No? Were we shaken to the core by a searing blistering wind that whipped the breath from our very nostrils? No? Did we struggle back to the car and sit for an age before warmth crept its way back into our bones? No?

No, better stick to the short and simples really.

Merrick-01.jpg
We saw a stone at the bottom

Merrick-02.jpg
Maybe some promise?

Merrick-03.jpg
We saw some frosty stuff near the top

Merrick-04.jpg
Then saw another stone at the top - "you mean I came all the way from Oxford for this?

Next?

Oh no, not another wet Glen Coe.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Merrick - simples

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Glad to see your still getting out on the hills Nigel :) . I like your first two photographs, enjoy your Glen Coe meet!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland