walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Awe-some Beinn a'fudgin Bhuiridh & Stob Diamh

Awe-some Beinn a'fudgin Bhuiridh & Stob Diamh

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 11/11/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1322m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Out a week past Sunday near Dalmally with the local outdoors squad. On the road just after 7am, arriving at our destination two hours later (including a quick "cold" stop at Crianlarich), the start point for the day was from the B8077 near Drishaig before climbing steeply onto the east ridge of Monadh Driseig...

...taking a break in the col for a perfectly observed silence at 11am and a quick snack stop, before heading up to the summit of the Corbett, Beinn a’Bhuiridh.

View SW from the summit of Beinn a'Bhuiridh (around Noon)

View NW from Beinn a'Bhuiridh summit (over Cruachan Dam and Ben)

We then descended steeply to the Lairig Torran, where we had a lunch stop, before heading over Stob Garbh to the highpoint of the day Stob Diamh at a leisurely pace. The descent took us over Sron an Isean and down it’s South-East ridge.

Stob Diamh summit with Ben Cruachan in the background

There was snow from about 800m with significant accumulations on higher E/SE aspects. No new snow during the day and cloud mostly well above the summits. Freezing above about 750m and a light NW/W wind. The ground was firm above about 850m and ice was forming at higher levels. On the drive up Ben Lawers and Ben Lui looked to be holding plenty of snow high up.

Ben Lui

View along the ridge

Descent perspective to the ridge

NB. There are new vehicle tracks up Coire Glas and Coire Chreachainn and that the footbridge shown in Coire Chreachainn on the 1:25,000 map is now no longer servicable.

An excellent day out in good conditions, a gentle introduction to Winter, with good views to Ben Lui, Arran, Mull and the Etive and Glen Coe hills.

Glen Etive

The landlord, just making sure we were getting orf his land...
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Awe-some Beinn a'fudgin Bhuiridh & Stob Diamh

Postby Rudolph » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for this report! It's always good to see pictures of this range.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Some cracking photos, BV
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby PeteR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

Some cracking photos there :lol: I really must get back to these hills one day
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks, Rudolph. First time on this range and I agree, it's beautiful and hope to return in the not too distant future to do a few more.

Cheers, AB.

PeteR wrote:Some cracking photos there :lol: I really must get back to these hills one day

PeteR, when I was up there I was remembering that your video-TR in the snow, wasn't that the Cruachan horseshoe?, last winter maybe?
Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Good stuff BV :thumbup: - you've just reminded me that I also need to go back some time as I saw nothing the day I was up here :roll: -cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 pm

great pics , especially like the one, glen etive
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am

rockhopper wrote:Good stuff BV :thumbup: - you've just reminded me that I also need to go back some time as I saw nothing the day I was up here :roll: -cheers :)

Thanks, Rockhopper. Not one of your epics but an uncomplicated route, in good, clear weather and a variety of underfoot conditions. Taken at a leisurely pace which really allows you to soak up the surroundings, plenty to catch the eye up there on a clear day.

tomyboy73 wrote:great pics , especially like the one, glen etive

Cheers tb73, my wee ageing pentax optio s4i didn't really do it justice. There's a boat breaking the flat calm of Loch Etive (where it meets Glen Noe) and had a better camera in the bottom of my rucksack but was too lazy to dig it out.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland