walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You better watch out

You better watch out

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Stacath

Date walked: 20/11/2012

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 920m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Christmas Carol to Johnny Corbett

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why…..
Mountain Thyme is watching you frown

She’s making a list
Ticking it twice
Going find out how many Johnny Corbetts done to be precise….

Well this wee corbett today took me to my 50th corbett! So watch out Johnny Boy here I come

Today seen me walking with the Glasgow Walking and Hillwalking Club and climbing Beinn Stacath.

Started the walk from Ballinmore where there is room for at least 7 cars.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 001.jpg
dont take this one

Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 018.jpg
take this track next to the small house

Headed back up the road passing two locked gates on the left and took the track up to the left of the first house. Climbed over the gate signposted Private Deer Park and headed along the track.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 002.jpg
over the fence

At the farm building headed over the bridge and west up the hill.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 003.jpg
over the bridge at farm building

It was pouring with rain and winds of up to 65mph for the majority of the walk.
Cloud level was at approx 500m and navigation was difficult.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 004.jpg
wee lochan

We headed in a south westerly direction up to the wee rise at 684 and then continued west up to the summit of Beinn Stacath. The climb was extremely easy all the way but being with a group we had many many stops.

We posed for a quick summit picture at the trig point and then dropped down out of the wind for lunch.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 005.jpg
50 th corbett... the map my friend is blowing in the wind

We continued north down towards Ceann na Baintighearna and then east following the fenceposts along the ridge.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 006.jpg
looking back up at the crags

Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 007.jpg
crags

The plan was to head to Creag Mhor and down the ridge back to Ballinmore.
However a decision was made to drop south down through the crags before the Bealach Driseach and down to the Allt Fathan Glinne River.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 013.jpg
over to stob binnein

On reaching the river we followed it back to the farm building and along the track back to Ballinmore.
Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 014.jpg
back to the farm building

Corbett Stacath 20thnov2012 009.jpg
towards ben vane

Back to the car in 6hours 20minutes and soaked to the skin
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Re: You better watch out

Postby Alan S » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Good to see the corbett count shooting up MT some really good reports you have put in lately 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby mgmt! » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: you on the buckie mountain thyme ??? walking wae the glesga mob !!!! yiv got yer 5 an yer 0 in the rang hawn ya muppet !!! and worst of all, mentioning the c word in november :shock:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Fudgie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Excellent. I've a walk planned here which I've not gotten around to yet so thats some good information there :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:18 pm

50 you say? your totals still showing 49. You must have been too busy celebrating your fiftyith on your fiftyith you've forgotten to update, must be senial dementia setting in :crazy: Crossing the deer fence, naughty naughty. If you're no.1 guide was there he would have taken you along by the river to avoid the deer :wink: PS I did 2 Corbetts yesterday so thats another 1 you're lagging behind by :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Alan S wrote:Good to see the corbett count shooting up MT some really good reports you have put in lately 8)

Thanks Alan :D

mgmt! wrote::roll: :roll: :roll: you on the buckie mountain thyme ??? walking wae the glesga mob !!!! yiv got yer 5 an yer 0 in the rang hawn ya muppet !!! and worst of all, mentioning the c word in november :shock:

bah humbug :D

Fudgie wrote:Excellent. I've a walk planned here which I've not gotten around to yet so thats some good information there :clap:

cheers fudgie.. do the circuit... its meant to be nice. we never seen a thing as the weather was that bad :(

Johnny Corbett wrote:50 you say? your totals still showing 49. You must have been too busy celebrating your fiftyith on your fiftyith you've forgotten to update, must be senial dementia setting in :crazy: Crossing the deer fence, naughty naughty. If you're no.1 guide was there he would have taken you along by the river to avoid the deer :wink: PS I did 2 Corbetts yesterday so thats another 1 you're lagging behind by :wink:

if the number one guide was there we'd still be walking :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland