walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wilderness hike to the hidden gem of Glencoe.......

A wilderness hike to the hidden gem of Glencoe.......

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Route description: Fraochaidh, from Ballachulish

Corbetts included on this walk: Fraochaidh

Date walked: 21/11/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1113m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fraochaidh - 11/11/12 A hidden gem, finding the paps missing pap, and a wilderness in Glencoe…..

Video report :

This weekend’s entertainment was meant to be kayaking with a guide booked from Ballachulish, but unfortunately my arm has still not mended properly so kayaking was out of the question. However progess has been made, albeit slower than I would like. So I decided to head to Ballachulish, not to kayak but for a walk and to come back down and meet the kayakers after the course.

I had initially thought on doing a short walk up Garbh Bheinn, meaning a long lye and late start. However the forecast had improved late on the Saturday and I decided on Fraochaidh. I had investigated the route from Duror but decided to start and leave from Ballachulish. Although longer, the route from here seemed less steep and mainly on paths. My arm was not fully healed and I did not fancy any unwelcome slips which may prolong the recovery plus I was on my own and wanted to take the safest option!!! So alarm was set for 05.50 and the plan was to get to Ballachulish by 08.00am. However I woke at 04.00 and felt awake so got up and left. It was a cold, frosty starry morning and the windscreen was frozen, not too sure the neighbours appreciated the running car at 04.30 on the Sunday morning :( :( :( :(
DSC04184 (2).jpg
too early.......

Anyway made it to Ballachulish for 06.45 and off I went. It was not completely dark and there was just enough light and the head torch stayed in the bag.

The walk past Sgorr Dhearg was lovely with its top being coated in snow, however the chances of yet another stunning sunrise were diminished by low cloud over the Glencoe hills to the East – suppose you can’t win them all. The treck up to Mam Uchdiach was a little rough and I did have to get the poles out (for the first time since hurting arm) for crossing the River Laroch. I tried once without poles and retreated to get the poles out, and thought my boots were going to be filled with cold water. Poles out and across I went to find the extremely boggy path up to the Man Uchdaich. Watch you don’t loose a boot heading up here (gaiters recommended)!!!!!!! P.S. worthwhile finding the cairns as it marks start of path as per WH report........
DSC04196.JPG
wild life watching my poor attempts at burn crossing - its entertainment for the day

Looking back and Sgorr a Choise looks impressive and rocky. In fact it mirrors the Pap of Glencoe which sits in the distance, perhaps this is the paps other half!!!!! Certainly looks like it from this ridge!!

I was taking my time sauntering up the hill and taking pictures (and videos). The views all around were great and the snow capped peaks added to it. Many famous hills were in view, but from an unfamiliar angle. It was nice seeing these hills from a different angle:
- Closest and taking up all of the north ward views were the back side of the Ballachulish horse shoe- Sgorr Dhearg and Sgorr Dhonuill with their white caps on
- Further north and east there was a thicker white covering over Stob ban and the Aonachs.
- East and Bidean in Glencoe was looking awesome if not a little unfamiliar from this angle
- A little further round and Sgor na h – Ulaidh and it neighbouring munro were looking inviting
- A shapely peak from the north and Starav was recognised – a great looking peak from this direction too.
- A little nearer lay the large bulk of Beinn Sgulaird
Many of these hills hide away from the road but this hill gave a great platform to see them as well as a new outlook on some familiar friends!!!
DSC04199.JPG
looking toward Glencoe and Bidean
DSC04208.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird and coe
DSC04214.JPG
Starav

These “familiar munro friends” have given me many great days in these hills but none have required the walk in that Fraochaidh demanded!! The long walk to reach the summit and then the “ups and downs” of the ridge gave this outing a feeling of isolation. I really felt in a wilderness here that I have never felt in this part of the country before.
DSC04219.JPG
reflections

Not too sure if it was the lack of exercise in the last 5 weeks or the onset of a cold, but I was feeling tired (I also had the ice axe and crampons in the bag adding weight??). The ridge was wonderful with the above views stretching the eye as well as the view to the isles opening up the further west I travelled. However it had many ups and downs and I was feeling knackered by the time I came to the final ascent to the top!! I paused for 5 minutes gathering my energy and then headed up, not going to fast and taking my time. Through the snow line and onto the summit ridge where the shallow snow was nice and crispy – however not enough need for crampons though. I made the top at 11.30 – 4.5hrs after starting!! I did not think it would have taken so long. There was an icy wind catching the top of the hill and I could see the weather was turning as the grey cloud lowered out to the west obscuring my view of the Rum and Mull which had previously been present.
DSC04244.JPG
Ballachulish Munros

Not wanting to get caught out I decided to head around and descend to get a nice spot to eat lunch. It was a long plod back to Ballachullish but I was glad to have found this great little gem of a hill, one giving awesome views!!
Got back to the car for 14.00 – it had taken 7hrs – I was not rushing (and video and photos take time!!) – however I was glad I had made the extra early start otherwise it may have been a walk out in the dark !! A note to point out if thinking of doing this hill in mid winter !!!!

However a worthy outing for a Corbett in a country surrounded by more famous mountains.
DSC04249.JPG
panorama
DSC04217.JPG
south
DSC04218.JPG
washedout

P.S. Probably better descirbed as being in Gleann an Fiodh as opposed to Glencoe!?!? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: also not as much a wilderness as some other parts but for this part of the country = pretty remote...
wilkiemurray

Re: A wilderness hike to the hidden gem of Glencoe.......

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Great movie again WM :thumbup:
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 pm

nice, cool video and another secret mountain revealed, cheers
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 pm

See your still carrying that damaged arm WM.

Another great TR video none the less.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am

[quote="gammy leg walker"]See your still carrying that damaged arm WM.

Indeed - this week it has shown some progress - its now over six weeks and I was hoping it would have heeeeealed quicker thn this to be honest :crazy: :crazy: Patience is not my midle name !! :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:Great movie again WM :thumbup:

Thanks Benjamin :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 am

tomyboy73 wrote:nice, cool video and another secret mountain revealed, cheers

Thanks - "secret :lol: :lol: :D :D mountain" - unlocked
wilkiemurray

Postby heatheronthehills » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 am

Great report, fantastic photos and brilliant video!! Love the music choices, especially the wild violins :clap: Looks like a nice hill day all round :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:70   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Well done doing it from this side at this time of year, as you saw we opted for the shorter route which was just as well with the snow slowing progress. Looks a bit wet up there now the snows thawed.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 am

heatheronthehills wrote:Great report, fantastic photos and brilliant video!! Love the music choices, especially the wild violins :clap: Looks like a nice hill day all round :)

Thanks Heather - glad you liked the violins - put them in as an alternative to all the rock n roll tracks :lol: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Well done doing it from this side at this time of year, as you saw we opted for the shorter route which was just as well with the snow slowing progress. .

I must admit that I did not think it would take so long despite all te route descriptions stating so - just glad I set off a couple hours earlier than planned or I would have been heading out in the dark!
wilkiemurray

Postby gaffr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 am

Your 'hidden gem' is a fine hill which I visited some time ago coming in from Ballachulish. :) What do recall about this hill.....a sign at the start of the track with the distance to Duror given in Kilometers :D..... wish that all of our signs were as was this one!.....a fine image of the aonach eagach ridge from the crest about the plantation ..... a reasonable image of the summit block from the wee lochan (the hidden gem) and some fine views of Beinn a' Bheithir. :D A fine day out.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:
heatheronthehills wrote:Great report, fantastic photos and brilliant video!! Love the music choices, especially the wild violins :clap: Looks like a nice hill day all round :)

Thanks Heather - glad you liked the violins - put them in as an alternative to all the rock n roll tracks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly my old steam-powered PC doesn't run these video clips so I'm missing out on those violins ... however, it's still a great report on an intriguing Corbett :clap: . I've always thought that Fraochaidh must have great views given where it sits on the map; I think you've just proven that point. Some lovely "dark sky" winter photos :D ...
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby lochlaggan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Great wee film, thanks for posting!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby McLEOD » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:40 pm

another fantastic report, interesting how you changed the speed of the water in the stream on your vid, the water from hazy to clear if you like, as you can tell I,m full of the technical jargon lol,
good stuff, cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland