walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Only making plans with Nigel - easy as XTC on Chrulaiste!

Only making plans with Nigel - easy as XTC on Chrulaiste!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 25/11/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 623m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a Mr R. Burns from Ayrshire once said, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley". And as a Mr I. Watson from the Glasgow area once said, "I'm never drinking on the Friday night of a WH meet again!" Well, Mr Burns certainly called it right. I can vouch for that. Mr Watson also had a point. I can vouch for that too, even if he again failed to stick to his promise and I joined him in his ill advised alcohol consumption activities in the Clachaig this particular Friday evening! :crazy:

My best laid schemes for the Glencoe Meet had involved the Munro/Corbett combination of Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Meall Ligiche on Saturday and either Garbh Bheinn or Beinn a'Chrulaiste on the Sunday. Had both of these materialised, the weekend would have seen me hit two significant landmarks, namely 141 Munros and 50 Corbetts. But therein lies the issue - the former did not materialise. What did materialise on the Saturday was a pronounced and prolonged bout of general illness and nausea brought on by a rather ill-advised session on the Red Cuillin in the Clachaig followed by extra-time on Deuchars IPA and a penalty shoot out on the whisky in the bunkhouse. :shock:

Now, Mountainlove has done a more than satisfactory job of painting a picture of the scene that greeted her in the bunkhouse on Saturday morning, so I will not go there in this report, other than to reflect that it must have resembled a scene from the very Gates of Hell! To be honest, I barely registered a flicker of emotion when Alan Mountainstar informed me he had received a text message from Alan ScotJamie letting me know that the latter would not be able to keep to the plans we had made in the Clachaig to do Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Meall Ligiche. Whatevva! With hindsight, it probably wouldn't have been an appropriate route choice in the conditions, but I would still have liked to revisit the Bookil either Big or Wee and redo one of them via a different route and in different conditions to my previous visits. But it was not to be. Dirty glasses and/or pipes in the pub put the kaibosh on those notions and condemned me to a day spent either in bed or malingering around the kitchen area. :roll:

I did venture to the Clachaig for dinner in the evening which was washed down by two pints (only one of which was alcoholic), and I wisely avoided the clearly dodgy batch of Red Cuillin they had in! Before I retired to the hostel for an early night, I made plans with Nigel (Old Danensian) to do a two-car route on the Corbett Beinn a'Chrulaiste the following day. :thumbup: Looks straightforward. Should be easy as ABC! :wink:

Nigel was at the bunkhouse for 9 o'clock the next morning and I was (comparatively) bright-eyed and bushy tailed, raring to go, and this despite rather iffy looking weather conditions.

We left my car at Altnafeadh and took Nigel's car round to the Kings House Hotel from where we took to the bog ridden slopes of the Corbett. Nigel was excellent company and we chatted a lot on our walk, sharing stories about our families, working lives and hill experiences. As mentioned by Nigel in his own report, there were enquiring text messages from home, mention of chicken and a minor navigational faux pas coming off the summit that was quickly detected and soon rectified with minimum fuss, although ABC did momentarily begin to look like XTC! :lol:

Then all that remined was the long descent down the west ridge to Altnafeadh, with the Big Bookil making her looming presence felt across the glen. Yes, I know, as Nigel pointed out, the Bookil is a bloke, but as with all mountains, I always think of it as a "she". What about you mountainstar???? :lol:

Plans with Nigel about to become reality!

The Big Bookil doon the WHW

1,2,3,4,5..... bogfest working overtime!

Creise and Glen Etive

And all the world is Bookil shaped!

From a tad further on

Across to Meall a' Bhuiridh and Creise as height is gained

Rannoch Moor - now you see it.....

...... now you don't (much)

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Thar she blows cap'n!

Nigel trying to take this all in!

She's flirting with us now Nigel!

Back below the vis line and into Glencoe

Stob Dearg of Big Bookil

....... and again

..... and again again

...... and again again again

Can you see your rock Alan?

Who said Corbetts ain't worth doing?

Lairig Gartain and Stob Coire Raineach

Raineach clearing and revealing the Big Bad Boys of Bidean behind

Raineach from back at the roadside

Chrulaiste from the road

Nigel delays his meeting with the chicken to snap some deer

Deer Bookil

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Only making plans with Nigel - easy as XTC on Chrulaiste

Postby quoman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Graeme, some fantastic picture's of the Big Bookil there.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby iainwatson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:43 pm

nice one graham,good to see you managed a walk after the 'car crash' that was saturday :lol:

bloody pub will need to clean their glasses better,cant be having any more illness ridden days at another meet! :lol:

Andy and i had a great wander up the wee bookil where the weather got better as the day went on :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby old danensian » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Good to read another version and yet more photos of that brilliant view of the Buachaille

Apologies for rubbing in work-free status by firing off a report straightaway

Hope it won't be too long before you get to 50

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Great stuff Graham, thanks for sharing those wonderful photos of the Bookil
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Bod » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am

Wonderful Graeme, that'll be you on your 50 corbetts now :) Cracking photos and what a top weekend? See you soon.....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby mountainstar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 am

Graham said
can you see the rock Alan?

That "rock" was so big the Big Bookle was in danger of now becoming the Wee Bookle, and a new Loch was being formed by the dam as it blocked the river below! :shock:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Love this Graeme, so funny (though perhaps not for you) those damn dirty glasses/pipes eh :roll: :lol: Sounds like a great time anyway and the hike is a cracker with some real moody shots of the big un looming out of the cloud, that 141 will just have to wait a little longer :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:42 am

good to see you managed out Graeme even if the plans did go a bit awry - you certainly got some good views and hope you've recovered fully - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby londonwalker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:07 am

Nice report Graeme. your senses must have been working overtime writing this one. Knew you were much better on the Sunday as you were cooking bacon rolls in the morning despite enough empties on the table to have the alcohol police (Generals and Majors) asking questions. I like to refere to the big Bookle as Sgt Rock myself. it's Love at first sight when you drive passed from Rannoch Moor.

Great photies with the sun peeking through from behind despite it being Wrapped in grey.
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland