walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Postby gman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 27/11/2012

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

easains 27-11-12 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did these on Tues, was starting to get light when I drove through Glen Coe and the Buachailles, AE etc looked spectacular with snow on top.

Bit worried about running out of daylight and got held up on the single track road to Fersit by this guy reversing up the track to pick up a digger. The rear steering couldn't be controlled from the cab so he had to get in & out a few times, didn't think he'd make it but he finally did :clap:

Parking area is a bit rocky with signs of camp fires. Headed off about 9am across the burn and up the muddy track into the bracken. That's the start of the ridge ahead, follow this all the way:

Barbed wire fence reached soon, crossed here as log steps had been left:

Route up to this point, car parked in the trees just left of the Lochan:

Met 3 guys on the hill later, they'd parked here at Fersit and took a path up. Didn't have to climb the fence as there was a gate but apparently it was very boggy:

Snowy nose at Meall Cian Dearg:

Couple of deer:

Closer to the nose:

And a view back down the valley:

Got to the snow and the path soon became covered and hidden as the ascent got steeper. But I'd spotted the 3 other walkers ahead so I could follow their footsteps :D According to my GPS they'd left the path at several points and there was a wee bit of scrambling involved. Looking down the nose:

Had walked into cloud by this point so it was colder and windy with occasional snow/hail - water bottles got ice in them and everything was covered in frost. Camera kept in bag for protection, unfortunately my printouts of the map and walking instructions made a bid for freedom and vanished in the wind :shock: . Still, had GPS and footsteps to follow so decided to go onwards into the murk:

It was pretty level up here, the snow was at varying depths which kept things interesting :D Got to a minor cairn, but thought it couldn't be a Munro so went onwards without getting a pic. Descended steeply here so I realised it must have been Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin, never mind I'd get a pic on the way back.

Down to the bealach then a steep ascent to Stob Coire Easain. The 3 other walkers were taking a lunch break on the way up, so I asked if we'd just done the first Munro and they confirmed it. I went onwards to the cairn and they followed soon after, meaning I had to race upwards to avoid getting overtaken :lol: Cairn:

I followed the ridge back to get a photo of the Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin cairn. Was it worth it? :lol:

Then retraced footsteps back along the ridge in the clag, seemed to take longer on the way back, I was conscious of sunset at 4pm and didn't fancy crossing the fence in the dark. After descending the nose I thought about going down to Fersit as the road would be easier in the dark, but I just followed the ridge back instead. Sun going down:

It was getting dark as I got to the car, walking in snow takes longer and there's less time to finish but it takes everything to another level :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:54 am

aye - what a difference seeing them in their autumnal/wintry colours - pity you didn't get any views up top but nice colours lower down - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland