walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Fair fa' yer honest Chonzie face"

"Fair fa' yer honest Chonzie face"

Postby markthespark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 28/11/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my mis-fire at the Glencoe meet, decided on Ben Chonzie to break me back into the hills, seeing as how I hadn't really walked since the start of October ( tramping in and out to Gorton Bothy not included) and I was breaking in a new pair of winter boots..... :roll: :roll:
Parked up at the old school house at Coishavachan in Glen Lednock on a sharp frosty morning and was booted and suited and away for 9am.

Ben Chonzie.JPG
Ben Chonzie

Easy farm track walking at the beginning as I steadily gained height, but with the excess water and frost, had to hug the edge as certain bits were sheets of ice.

Creag Na-Lolaire & Carn Buidhe.JPG
Creag Na-Lolaire & Carn Buidhe

Kept plodding along, soaking in the colours of late Autumn, till I reached the branch off cairn and headed across the snowy heather moor to the fenceline on the brow of the hill.

Lawers Range.JPG
Looking North To lawers Range

Followed the fenceline round, heading for the summit shelter and saw a winter hare, but it had bolted by the time I got the camera lens cap off.

Looking Along Fenceline To Summit.JPG
Looking Along Fenceline To Summit

Reached the shelter in just under 2 1/2 hours, quick cup of coffee, and cos it was a bitter cold wind, started to head back down.

Loch Turret Reservoir.JPG
Loch Turret Reservoir

Lawers Range From Plateau.JPG
Lawers Range From Summit Plateau

Frosty Fence Posts.JPG
Frosty Fence Posts

Now, I've read reports of how Ben Chonzie is regarded as being a boring Munro to bag, but I was lucky enough to do it when the top 1/3 was covered in snow, and the fact that I was walking solo and had the whole place to myself ( monster sized arctic hares not included) made it even better.

Tea-pot Shadow.JPG
Tea-Pot Shadow

Certainly wouldn't have done a tea-pot pose if I'd have had company :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ciao for now,

Sparky
markthespark
Walker

Munros:17   

Re: "Fair fa' yer honest Chonzie face"

Postby monty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm a little teapot short and stout :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report Markthespark. Excellent view of the Lawyers range they look great in the snow. Chonzie certainly looks better in the snow. And you didn't have to swim. :lol: :lol:

p.s. good to meet you at the weekend. :D
monty

Postby markthespark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:59 pm

[quote="monty"]I'm a little teapot short and stout :lol: :lol: :lol:

That kinda sums me up pal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nae swimming, but I did do a coupla "belly-flops" into available snow drifts......great fun...
Aye, was braw meeting up, still wetting myself laughing about the Bothy night.... :clap: :clap:
markthespark
Walker

Munros:17   

Postby mountainstar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Good to see your back on the hills.
So glad you enjoyed the Bothy night, shame you missed the Sat night, hope you liked the video (co-starring you :D )
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Grahams:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:218
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Lovely photos Mark, especially the one of the frozen up fence posts. :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby basscadet » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 am

Nice pictures of the Lawers range, sounds like you had a good day :)

I was saving this for winter due to the boring factor too.. but now it actually is winter, its still way down the list.. maybe next year :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Sparky, I was back up on Chonzie, the day after you (yesterday), boring anything but! With the summit covered in snow and with wonderful views and not as in your case but hardly any wind, I could have stayed there for hours, an absolutely fantastic day. A wonderful winter hillwalking experience. :D I too took many fab photographs!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland