walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THE COBBLER

THE COBBLER

Postby eddie devlin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Date walked: 28/11/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

HI Eddie Devlin the Wanderer here. I needed to get out into my church of the hills on Wednesday 28th Nov. so
set off to do the Cobbler. On the way up I took my time and let all those young folk pass me and tried not to
feel as old as I felt. Even a guy as old or older passed. anyway it was a totally great day with great vis. and
although very cold I was fine in my layers. It took me longer than intended or wished to get to the Needle, but it was great to have a lone coffee and thaw out my water bottle. However, here is the rub, on the way down I had great difficulty in keeping upright on the very thin ice, even black ice. I had a set of Grivel points but felt that there was not enough thickness of ice to use them. I had quite a few falls on the way down. Does anyone have advice on how cope with thin ice on boulders and slopes, as crampons or spikes need depth and an ice axe is I feel
to advance for me a mere wanderer? I was lucky that none of my falls broke anything except some stuff in my backpack. As for sore legs and back on the way down I think that is the result of my years and there is no option but to take painkillers. enough moaning. so way to go. Best wishes of the season to all.
eddie devlin
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland