walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Roly Poly down Ben Vorlich (Arrochar)

Roly Poly down Ben Vorlich (Arrochar)

Postby dawnfoth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Date walked: 01/12/2012

Time taken: 7.45 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s a beautiful morning and I am driving along the road listening to music whilst in awe of the snow capped mountains and the stillness all around, but I best keep my wits about me cos the roads are treacherous! :shock:

A bird of prey flies across the road in front of me….. awesome…..

Once I reach Loch Lomond side, there is a slither of fog on the surface of the water and its just gorgeous…. Can’t stop, I’ve got a mountain to climb! :D

I park at Inverglas, near the Power Station, quick toilet stop, gear on and last minute decision to ditch ice axe (which I later realise was a mistake). :roll:

Heading South along the road I am chuffed to be out on such a glorious day and I turn up the road where there are a number of warnings regarding pedestrian access due to work that is being carried out further up the road. I did have a giggle when I reached the gate at the end of the road. I know I have put on weight, but I couldn’t fit through it! The road was a bit slippy in places and I was concentrating on where I should be coming off the road and start climbing the ridge to the summit….

There was no cairn indicator so I went off piste and up the hill by a gorge, then over snowy capped moss after my leg went through a hole and into a pool of water whilst the rest of me hit the deck. :shock:

I was a true wanderer, but suddenly had this feeling that I was on the wrong hill, but rather than check the map (I had the map image stored in my head and was sure I was on Ben Vorlich), I decided that I would go up to what I thought was a summit and eyed up the less steep route and bumbled up through the snow. Once there I realised there was more to this hill than met the eye, so continued up and over snowy craggy humps. It had been clear but it now everything was smothered in fluff and I couldn’t see in the distance to see if there was more to this mountain or not. I kept going and then found a set of footprints, so I followed them when Vorlich revealed part of itself to me. Of course I was on the right hill – how could I ever doubt myself….! :D

I could see people in the distance on the Little Hills. I have no idea where the ‘normal’ route is, but the footprints I follow lead up through and around the craggy tops, then I spot a chap and see a larger trail of footprints ripe for following. He is on the normal path, but flamin eck it’s steep. :crazy:

The frost bitten trig point was eventually reached – took me 4 hours and 20 minutes

Then I daundered to the next top (the actual summit) chatting to a bloke until the cloud dissipated and then I hid behind a large boulder for my lunch and a hot cuppa. 20 minutes

Time is nicking on. Its now about 1410, so quick change of gloves and get off before darkness falls.

I met a chap (Andrew from Newcastle) not far from the top putting on Crampons, which we’d later find out was not a bad shout at all as we bumbled down. It got to a really slippy part and Andrew leant me his ice axe for the walk down. It’s a very steep descent and was very very slippy, so much so that I did a roly poly down the hill. :shock: :crazy: I managed to rescue myself by grabbing handfuls of thick grass, but THANK YOU to Andrew for his quick response. If I hadn’t saved myself, he grabbed me before I rolled off again…. :clap:

Drama over we descended to the tarmac road near the dam which seemed to take forever. Strip off all the gear and a walk out. No head torch required.

The road was much slippier than it had been this morning and we took to the grassy side. Once we reached the path at the main road we met two chaps, one who had slipped on a very icy section and he suspects sprained his ankle. :( He had climbed Ben Vane today. To whoever you are, I hope it was only a sprain and that you recover quickly. :D

I have to say that I had been putting Ben Vorlich off for some time and I don’t know why. I thought that it would be quite an uninteresting hill and easy. The guide book does state ‘undulating ridge’. The book is correct in that respect! But this is one of the best hills I have done in quite a while! My 30th munro for this year - woohoo! :D

BV 1 Achrois.jpg
A'Chrois
BV 4 Loch Arklet and Katrine.jpg
Loch Arklet and Loch Katrine and surrounding hills

BV 5 Achrois.jpg
BV 8 3 lochs.jpg

BV 10 view south nice.jpg
BV 12 south portrait.jpg
Looking South

BV 15 achrois and arrochar.jpg
Arrochar and hills
BV 17 3 lochs betwen the snow.jpg
Lock Arklet, Loch Katrine and Loch Lomond

BV 18 looking across to ben lomond.jpg
BV 20 Ben Vane.jpg
Ben Vane

BV 25 Back over the tops again.jpg
Looking back over the ridge
BV 27 NW from the summit.jpg
View NW from the Vorlich summit

BV 28 cloud coming back in.jpg
BV 29 Chimp Rock.jpg
Chimp Rock

BV 30 back over the ridge and out to BL.jpg
Back along and the ridge and Ben Lomond
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Re: Roly Poly down Ben Vorlich (Arrochar)

Postby iainwatson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:24 pm

lovely pictures and congrats on hitting 30 :clap:
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Lenore » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:38 pm

A wonderful report and great pictures! :clap:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 pm

iainwatson wrote:lovely pictures and congrats on hitting 30 :clap:

Thanks Iain, I have of course done more than 30 munros, but for me in a year thats pretty good. :D Hopefully a few more before the end of 2012 though they are all now bloody miles away.... not so easy to attack... How was yer trip in your metal tent thingy? :lol:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Lenore wrote:A wonderful report and great pictures! :clap:

Thanks Lenore.... It was such a beautiful day, I really couldn't believe my luck, though it clouded over as I approached the summit and then left after I departed.... surprise surprise! Am no complaining though, apart from feeling a bit sore today.... :(
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby McLEOD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 pm

so if you followed these peoples footsteps and they were lost you would be fecked, only joking :D
good stuff :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 pm

McLEOD wrote:so if you followed these peoples footsteps and they were lost you would be fecked, only joking :D

Hahaha - yeah too right! Cheeky Bugger! :lol: I did say to myself, if these footprints, head that way, then I am not! :lol: But they seemed to head in the right direction so I followed. I was more worried about getting back down as I didn't want to go back the way I came up as I thought that would be dangerous, but seriously the 'actual' path that comes up from the dam was more dangerous and this is where I did some acrobats.... :shock:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby McLEOD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:35 pm

dawnfoth wrote:
McLEOD wrote:so if you followed these peoples footsteps and they were lost you would be fecked, only joking :D

Hahaha - yeah too right! Cheeky Bugger! :lol: I did say to myself, if these footprints, head that way, then I am not! :lol: But they seemed to head in the right direction so I followed. I was more worried about getting back down as I didn't want to go back the way I came up as I thought that would be dangerous, but seriously the 'actual' path that comes up from the dam was more dangerous and this is where I did some acrobats.... :shock:

:D :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby pigeon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Well done dawn,did this early January this year in terrible conditions but had a good wee gang with me that day so it ended up being one of our best trips of the year despite getting soaked ,wind blasted and chilled to the bone we had a great laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: Do remember it by pretty steep as well,one to re visit in the summer :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby dawnfoth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 pm

pigeon wrote:Well done dawn,did this early January this year in terrible conditions but had a good wee gang with me that day so it ended up being one of our best trips of the year despite getting soaked ,wind blasted and chilled to the bone we had a great laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: Do remember it by pretty steep as well,one to re visit in the summer :thumbup:

Na, bugger re-visiting it in the summer, or any other day for that matter - I think I might visit something else where I can get a look at it, but thats about it.... :lol: Cheers :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Fond memories, my first. This hill, according to my wife, is the route of all evil

great pics, love the chimp rock. :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland