walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie (again) with 12 first timers

Ben Chonzie (again) with 12 first timers

Postby peter tindal » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 29/11/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As part of their course work, the students on the Army Preparation Course at the Adam Smith College have to plan, take part and review a charity event. They are free to plan any activity as long as it is challanging and safe, as well as legal :D We have in previous courses done hill walks and mountain biking. This course decided on taking on Ben Chonzie. Now, Chonzie is not the most demanding of bags, but none of these students had done any hill walking at the start of the course. They were also restricted to travelling time and daylight hours. Bringing a dozen teenagers off a mountain in winter in the dark is not my idea of fun.They also pick the charity and this course decided on help for hero's.

They day started off by meeting at the college in Glenrothes, quickly grabbing the equipment we needed and took to the road. I had arranged to meet Rod, aka The Rodmiester at 10.30 at the car park. My first error was to give the students a quick toilet break at Crieff, be quick I said as we need to get off. My quick and the students quick has about a 20 minute differance :lol: Back at the bus, we headed up to the car park, only about 20 minutes late for Rod. :?

Once booted we headed off in a quite stunning day. The greens and browns of autum really standing out even for someone as colour blind as me! The students set off at a steady pace and I was happy with the progress all the way to the small dam just before the uphill started. Grabbing a quick 5 minute break and deciding not to give permission to the request from one of the students to open the dam we started the long uphill stretch. This was when the group started to spread out quite a bit. The mountain hares at the front were told where to wait for the mountain snails. We eventionally got to the small cairn where we waited for the group to get back as one again and then headed off up to the snow.
SAM_0356.JPG
SAM_0357.JPG
The mountain snails

Crossing the hillside across the snow was not as bad as some of the students thought it would be, but as expected the snow ball throwing soon started, only stopping to laugh at the latest faller on the snow. :lol: At least it kept the students amused.
SAM_0359.JPG
The mountain hares

Soon after the hares got to the summit and we all reached our goal by getting to the top in a fairly good time, considering the training consisted of a walk in the Pentlands and one in the Ochils. The walk up was warm but the summit was cold so we stayed long enough for a bite to eat and a group photo
SAM_0363.JPG
The course at the summit

The decent was uneventful, no snowball fights, and most of the students were quiet which makes a nice change :lol: We got back to the minibus after 4.5 hours of steady walking. Great effort from all the students and now the hardest part, getting the money all together. The drive back was very quiet with most of them falling asleep before we reached Comrie :wtf:

The total should be in the region of over £800 which between a dozen students is a great effort. Thanks to Rod for turning up and walking most of the route with us and given the students a donation towards the total :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks Rod, from myself, the students and H4H
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Re: Ben Chonzie (again) with 12 first timers

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Nice report Peter, on a fabulous day :) , glad you all got back safe and sound with no mishaps on the icy track going down.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby peter tindal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Wee update on the charity event.

The students have raised just over £1,200. Well proud of them all :clap: but shhhhh dinny tell them, they may think i'm getting soft in my old age :lol: :roll:
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:05 pm

peter tindal wrote:Wee update on the charity event.

The students have raised just over £1,200. Well proud of them all :clap: but shhhhh dinny tell them, they may think i'm getting soft in my old age :lol: :roll:

Peter, well pleased with the sum raised :D well done all concerned :clap: :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland