walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

yellow snow on the bookil

yellow snow on the bookil

Postby paddy_da_mighty_atom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:46 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1001m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the weather was looking perfect for today we decided to head for glencoe and stretch the legs up the Buachaille etive mor
Alan and i and the 3 dogs set off from Paisley at 6:15, arrived at Glencoe at 7:55 and were booted up and walking for 8:00 :D
024.JPG
the Buachaille etive mor

We followed the track to the bridge over the River Coupall then past the SMC's hut, from here we continued into Coire na Tulaich and up the snowy covered scree slopes to the bealach, the views from here were stunning, a nice sunrise aswell 8)
030.JPG
amazing views

031.JPG
Ben Nevis

After some pics and taking in the views we headed on up to the summit of Stob Dearg, once at the cairn we were joined a few minutes later by a climber who had ascended the curved ridge route, he was kind enough to take a summit pic for us :D
037.JPG
Stob Dearg summit

After a bite to eat and some coffee we descended back to the bealach, on the way back i was noticing a lot of yellow snow everywhere i was walking, i had a good idea of who the culprits were :lol:
035.JPG
the yellow snow culprits

044.JPG
Alan and the culprits, islay bruno and arran

We started heading along the ridge over Stob na Doire,
045.JPG
Stob na Doire

the snow was quite deep in places but was like powder, was funny watching the dogs scurrying about in it, aswell as Alan :lol:
048.JPG
mutts on Stob na Doire

After a quick cuppa at Stob na Doire we carried on along the ridge to Stob Coire Altruim and up to Stob na Broige
054.JPG
ridge

070.JPG
Stob na Broige summit

At the summit we had some lunch and took some more pics then we set off back along the ridgeto the bealach between Altruim and Stob na Doire, once again, yellow snow everywhere, this time i think Alan and i had a part to play in it :lol:
once at the bealach we descended the steep slopes to the Lairig Gartain which was covered with ice all the way down,
077.JPG
some big icicles on the descent to Lairig Gartain

Once we reached the footpath it was just the same, skating rink all the way back to Altnafeadh.
arrived back at the car at 3:00pm,
Had a great day but will be needing crampons and an ice axe for my next winter wander, hopefully santa brings them :D :lol:
paddy_da_mighty_atom
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   

Re: yellow snow on the bookil

Postby heatheronthehills » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 am

Lovely photos, it was a perfect weekend for being on the hill :D Long may it continue.
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby SMRussell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Great snaps, esp. mutts on Stob na Doire :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby robertphillips » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Great photos of the dogs on top.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 pm

The sky above Stob na Doire is amazing! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby paddy_da_mighty_atom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Cheers evryone, was probably the best day ive had on the hills yet for great views of the surrounding peaks, need to make up my mind where im going this weekend :)
paddy_da_mighty_atom
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland