walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 9 in a row

Glenshee 9 in a row

Postby bthom8465 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 01/04/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1690m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked across from Glenshee ski centre on the A93, it only took 5 mins to get our gear on but due to the ongoing blizzard conditions, my fingertips were numb before i had even started walking.
We climbed the N ridge of Meall Gorm & followed the ridge round to the stony top of Creag Leacach [1]
Moving swiftly on we followed the N ridge along the wall to the summit of Glas Maol [2], barely pausing for breath we continued N & NE along the ridge & onto Cairn of Claise [3] @ this point the mist started to lift, improving visibility & making it easier to navigate.
As we headed E of Ca Whins to Tom Buidhe [4], the weather thankfully started to improve as did my mood.
Time for a bite to eat before returning to Ca Whins & up up onto the stony S slopes of Tolmount [5].
By this time the jacket was off & it was shaping up to be a lovely afternoon.
We descended W going past the Head of Glen Callater & Coire Kander to the summit of Carn an Tuirc [6], before making our way back down to the A93, basking in the glorious sunshine as we went, the beanie hat from the morning had now become a baseball cap, the jacket packed away long ago & it was time for the suncream [only in Scotland].
Thinking our day was done & feeling rather pleased with myself bagging 6 Munros in one day, i began to imagine sinking a nice cold beer, only to be informed that there was still lots of daylight left & another 3 Munros there for the taking on the other side of the road!
So off we went again across the A93 & straight up through the heather in the scorching sun, halfway up i was seriously beginning to toil & had to stop several times before finally emerging from the heather & making it up onto the summit @ Carn Aosda [7].
@ this point i was seriously considering leaving my mate to complete the last 2 Munros on his own but after some delberation, i had been convinced that the going from Aosda to Carn a' Gheoidh [8] & then onto The Cairnwell [9] was relatively flat with very little incline, that & the fact that if i wimped out now i would regret it forever more.
Anyway to cut a long story short, i managed to complete the afore mentioned Munros & the walk back along the A93 to the welcoming site of the car.
Looking back on the day now, i have mixed emotions an overwhelming sense of achievement having managed to climb 9 Munros in one day, tinged with the pain i endured on the final 3 Munros!
Certainly a day out that will live long in the memory both good & bad! :crazy:
Attachments
9 in a row.JPG
9.Last but not least The Cairnwell
Carn a Gheoidh summit.JPG
8.Carn a' Gheoidh
Approaching Carn a Gheoidh.JPG
Approaching Carn a' Gheoidh
Carn Aosda summit.JPG
7. Carn Aosda, 917m.
Carn a Tuirc cairn.JPG
6. Carn an Tuirc
Tolmount cairn.JPG
5. Tolmount
Tom Buidhe.JPG
4. Tom Buidhe
Cairn of Claise summit.JPG
3. Cairn a' Claise
Cairn @ Glas Maol.JPG
2. Glas Maol
Glas Maol from Creag Leacachmm.jpg
Great pix from Creag Leacach towards Glas Maol
East Highlands 001.JPG
1. Creag Leacach
bthom8465
Hill Bagger

Munros:216   Corbetts:33
Fionas:7   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Glenshee 9 in a row

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 pm

i initially thought you had done it recently ... had to check the date on your report. I thought 9 munros was helluva good going in the winter conditions.. well done :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glenshee 9 in a row

Postby bthom8465 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 pm

mountain thyme wrote:i initially thought you had done it recently ... had to check the date on your report. I thought 9 munros was helluva good going in the winter conditions.. well done :)

Ha! Ha! no chance of that in this weather it was hard enough in the sunshine :lol:
bthom8465
Hill Bagger

Munros:216   Corbetts:33
Fionas:7   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:20   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland