walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

no way up Geal-Charn Mor?

no way up Geal-Charn Mor?

Postby 2mbas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Route description: Geal-charn Mòr , from Lynwilg

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 18/08/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The new WH Newsletter reminds me about my misfortune with this Corbett. You might find this amusing at my expense, though it didn't amuse me at the time!

I decided to leave the car at home and go to a zone of Scotland using public transport. From Newtonmore, I got the bus up the A9 to Kincraig, from where I took the delightful path above the Spey to Alvie, passing through a forest and hitting a mega-caravan park. I'd decided to cross the B9152, walk up the track past the farm at Dalraddy (854088), then cross the A9. Obviously not clever in general to be walking along the A9. My way involved walking under it where there's a concrete bridge.

The map suggested I could cross into woods, then eventually navigate to join the normal track up GC Mor from Lynwilg. Not so! I could cross the burn by the concrete bridge only on a dodgy pair of logs clearly provided for heavy vehicles. Tried this but got into a field with electric fences. Clearly not an access route to the hill anywhere to be be found.

I was so cross that I retraced - all - my footsteps, back to Kincraig, grabbed the next bus to Kingussie and - not to be denied a Corbett for the day - shot up Carn an Fhreiceadain!

Hope this causes some amusement among those who, unlike me, know what they're doing when not reliant on the car! I WILL RETURN!
2mbas
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland