walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wee jaunt up Cairn Table (Muirkirk)

A wee jaunt up Cairn Table (Muirkirk)

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Route description: Cairn Table, near Muirkirk

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn Table

Date walked: 05/12/2012

Time taken: 2.3 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From the car park i headed straight up the path to the summit and returned the same way. It was icy in parts and also boggy and would be a very boggy walk in wet weather although there wooded walkways over the more boggy sections. The summit has a large memorial cairn as well as trig point and various sheltered spots for having lunch and there is also an information board at the car park. As it was a nice day i got all the views including Arran and Ben Lomond as well as others. A fine wee walk and ideal for someone just starting out.
P1040217.JPG
Info board

P1040218.JPG
Cairn Table

P1040219.JPG
Towards Arran

P1040220.JPG
Path

P1040221.JPG
Towards Galloway

P1040222.JPG
Summit

P1040223.JPG
SE

P1040224.JPG
South

P1040225.JPG
Muirkirk

P1040226.JPG
East

P1040228.JPG
Summit again

P1040229.JPG
Ben Lomond direction

P1040232.JPG
Dog friendly, the gate was padlocked
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: A wee jaunt up Cairn Table (Muirkirk)

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm

that's a heck of a cairn, Johnny, and a cracking view point - especially on a day with such great weather - haven't been in Muirkirk for some years but didn't know about this hill - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Fantastic to see that JC. Cheers! Cairn Table is one of the defining hills of my youth, and I honestly couldn't say exactly how many times I have stood by that cairn. I was back in Muirkirk in August ..... but for a funeral, not for walking. It has been getting on for 10 years since I last walked those moors, but I have definite plans for a big route around there in the summer of 2014 to mark an important anniversary. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Good stuff JC, nice to see some crisp winter sunshine and just a hint of snow...a lovely wee wander and by the sounds of it you did right in going during a freeze :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 am

rockhopper wrote:that's a heck of a cairn, Johnny, and a cracking view point - especially on a day with such great weather - haven't been in Muirkirk for some years but didn't know about this hill - cheers :)
Cheers, there's another 2 north of Muirkirk also which i hope to do over the winter. :)
RTC wrote:Nice pictures. You're right about it being boggy in less frosty conditions. Did you notice any of the original tar laid by John McAdam as an experiment? You see it if you take an alternative path from the top, left of the main path up with the boardwalks, just before you get back to Muirkirk. I don't have a map so thats the best way I can describe this path
I didn't notice the original tar. I think the hill has a fair bit of history which i was totally unaware of before climbing it :?
Graeme D wrote:Fantastic to see that JC. Cheers! Cairn Table is one of the defining hills of my youth, and I honestly couldn't say exactly how many times I have stood by that cairn. I was back in Muirkirk in August ..... but for a funeral, not for walking. It has been getting on for 10 years since I last walked those moors, but I have definite plans for a big route around there in the summer of 2014 to mark an important anniversary. 8)
Glad to bring the memories back and will do report on the north two also once i climb them :)
ChrisW wrote:Good stuff JC, nice to see some crisp winter sunshine and just a hint of snow...a lovely wee wander and by the sounds of it you did right in going during a freeze :wink:
Thanks Chris, it was chilly on the summit though :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland