walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wee walk in East Ayrshire

A wee walk in East Ayrshire

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craiglee (Ayrshire)

Date walked: 09/12/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Craiglee (Loch Doon).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As I hadn't been out in 4 months :shock: I decided on something local and below the snowline, given that I'm not too experienced or confident in winter walking.

Parked up at the ruins of Loch Doon Castle and had a wee wander about the place before heading up the signposted path...

P1020503.JPG
Sign outside the ruins

P1020508.JPG
Inside the castle, looking out to the loch

The path is good, although boggy in places, all the way up to the top of the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch.

P1020509.JPG
Today's target from the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch

After that, the route to Craiglee was a bit of a slog, over boggy & uneven ground, which made the going slow.

Got to the summit of Craiglee in about 80 minutes - it was blowing a gale by this point so it was just a few pics then think about heading back down again...

P1020510.JPG

P1020511.JPG

P1020512.JPG

P1020516.JPG

I decided not to re-ascend the Wee Hill so picked a treeline to head for so that I would skirt round the side of it. Again it was boggy but others have obviously had the same idea and I picked up a path of sorts that lead me back to the main path that I'd came up earlier.

An easy descent from that point and one last pic of the castle from a different angle...

P1020532.JPG
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Re: A wee walk in East Ayrshire

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:38 pm

That looks like a grand wee winter's walk. That's a very scenic area around Loch Doon - I did some walking there as a teenager (i.e. back in the early fourteenth century :lol: ). You got some nice photos too - like that summit shot with the rays of light from the clouds :D !
The Galloway Hills have some great names - "Wee Hill of Craigmulloch" is kind of cute.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland