walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My week Off - Sun, Snow and Wind. part 2

My week Off - Sun, Snow and Wind. part 2

Postby tall-story » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 am

Route description: Mount Battock from Glen Esk

Corbetts included on this walk: Mount Battock

Date walked: 05/12/2012

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was day 2 and was meant to be an easy walk :lol: and if the forecast had done what it said then it would have been an easy stroll. But when I woke at Fettercairn and saw the snow and how deep it was and it was still falling a decision had to be made :shock: . It had to be either the 80 mile drive back home or go and have a look at the road conditions and decide from there. Well as it happens the roads had been gritted, but had the Glen Esk road ?? Mmm well, as it happens it had not been done but there had been a good lot of traffic on it which made things a bit easier for driving on :wink: So I got to Millden Lodge with no mishaps till I tried to be conciderate and park in such a way that anyone else could get in and use the limited space. And Disaster I was too close to the edge of the hard standing and my back wheel went off the chips and when I tried to sort that the front wheel went off also :oops:. Bugger, I thought, what now? All I was doing was spinnng the wheels deeper and deeper so I got kitted up for the walk and just then another car came in and saved the day with a push i got out and parked a wee bit further in from the edge and all was good (many thanks whoever you were) :clap: Sorry I never got your name. So of we went on our way, with snow on again and the wind picking up this looked like a bit more than the stroll that the books said that it should be :roll: . Navagation was fairly straight forward once I got on to the correct track of which there are lots of. It turned out to be a bit of a slog against the wind and frequent showers but I plugged on and eventually got to the end of my track after loads of photos. Next, I thought, simple just follow the fence line to the summit :lol: well it should have been simple. The snow just got deeper end deeper with some of the drifts chest deep and more on occasions, and by jings wee Fernie was having a hard time of it :( . So wee plodded on with eventual crawling on the snow (to spread the weight) we got to the electric fence :lol: there was no way that fence was going to shock anyone with the amount of snow on it :shock:. Fern posed for a quick summit photo and it was time to get out of here as it was blowin a baltic hoolie. We marched on following the fence line south to try and get out of the wind and cloud, following a fence you would think fairly easy with around a foot of snow it was easy till, I stepped off a hag and ended up in around 6ft of snow :shock: bloody hell that was a fright and a half, what had happened was the fence line had used deer posts in the haggs which I never thought of so you think 4 foot fence then whoosh you are up to yer neck in it as it drops in to the haggs. So I climbed up the fence wires to get out gave myself a wee dust down had a chuckle to myself :lol: and got out of the haggs following the little bits of grassa and heather that often show on the higher ground under the snow. So we got down a bit and the cloud cleared as the sun started set and the views were superb with the shallow winter light and the pink/orange glow that the sun put on the snow :D. We got on to the hill road fairly quickly and all I had to do was the walk back to Millden Lodge with loads of photos of sun and snow and also some of poor wee Fern who was having a real hard time of it with the snow hanging from her like bawbles :( .An hour or so later that was us back at the car and the drive back down the road. What a day :D
Attachments
Mount Battock (2).JPG
Thank you very much :-) for helping me out of the pickle i was in civic driver.
Mount Battock (5).JPG
The views !!!
Mount Battock (7).JPG
Mount Battock (12).JPG
Mount Battock (17).JPG
Glen Esk
Mount Battock (20).JPG
One of the many deep drifts.
Mount Battock (22).JPG
Not too many electric shocks today ??
Mount Battock (25).JPG
A Quick pose.
Mount Battock (26).JPG
Lets get out of here Fern!
Mount Battock (28).JPG
Mount Battock (35).JPG
Its how far to go ???
Mount Battock (37).JPG
Mount Battock (42).JPG
Mount Battock (44).JPG
Poor wee thing.
Mount Battock (50).JPG
Mount Battock (51).JPG
Mount Battock (52).JPG
Mount Battock (53).JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: My week Off - Sun, Snow and Wind. part 2

Postby andyfitz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Well done that dug!!!

Nice wee report. That is one part of the country that seems to catch a LOT of snow. Had some great days out there in mental snow conditions.

Ditch the Civic and get yourself a Landy!
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 am

You're very brave/nuts but I love this report. Well done on your perseverance - the dog looks a little....chilly.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby tall-story » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks kevsbald, A wee bit daft somtimes helps on the hills :wink:. Seriously though the forecast was to get alot better which it did :D and also I just love it outside anywhere in extreme weather, as long as you have the kit, a wee bit of savvy and keep warm you`ll be fine. As for the dog, she is a smasher and would follow me anywhere but I really did feel sorry for her on Wednesday as for being cold only if I stop for too long otherwise she is far too busy looking for wildlife to chase :roll: if you look at the closeup she is actualy gagging to get at a covy? of grouse that she had spotted :wink:. As they say` its a dogs life` and she loves it.
Colin
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby wellsie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 am

I enjoyed hearing this tale over a pint when you got home that night! Fern was in her element - I know how much she loves the snow. :)
wellsie

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland