walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broughton Heights & Penvalla

Broughton Heights & Penvalla

Postby gmr82 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:26 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broughton Heights, Penvalla

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1138m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

-
Attachments

Broughton.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by gmr82 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Broughton Heights & Penvalla

Postby laconic surf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:04 am

Good stuff. As a walker of the smaller hills as well as the big yins it's nice to see a report on the border hills. Walking the donalds and sub2ks often mean you have to work out your own routes, as you say, rather than just following WH descriptions so they are great for honing your navigational skills. (I rarely take my GPS out on these hills, prefering to stick to to the old map and compass to keep those skills fresh.) If your not ready for winter munros it's a great idea to still get out there on the smaller ones to keep the fitness up. I would recommend the Ettrick horseshoe (although the route is on here :wink: ) as a full winters day out - great views and plenty of opportunity for sledging/bum sliding if the snow is lying low enough 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby meangarry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice report G, as luc says the smaller hills are just as good for a walk and in winter they look fantastic. I struggle to get to the munros as I don't drive but I have plenty good days out walking on my doorstep in the Moffat hills. There are a few good hills not too far from the burgh. Broad Law is one that I love to get up in the worst of weather, its worth a look and doesn't take all day to climb and at 840m its only 74m or so off being a munro.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby gmr82 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:50 pm

laconic surf wrote:Good stuff. As a walker of the smaller hills as well as the big yins it's nice to see a report on the border hills. Walking the donalds and sub2ks often mean you have to work out your own routes, as you say, rather than just following WH descriptions so they are great for honing your navigational skills. (I rarely take my GPS out on these hills, prefering to stick to to the old map and compass to keep those skills fresh.) If your not ready for winter munros it's a great idea to still get out there on the smaller ones to keep the fitness up. I would recommend the Ettrick horseshoe (although the route is on here :wink: ) as a full winters day out - great views and plenty of opportunity for sledging/bum sliding if the snow is lying low enough 8)

Thanks LS, yep also had my eye on the Ettrick Horshoe for this winter, also planning a trip or two, to the Ochils, and really the next one on my list is from Drumelzier, had actually planned to do this the following week after Broughton but had a misty forecast so with my limited compass skills I thought better of it and had a day out at the Pentlands instead, up Mendick & East Cairn Hill(report on way).

meangarry wrote:Nice report G, as luc says the smaller hills are just as good for a walk and in winter they look fantastic. I struggle to get to the munros as I don't drive but I have plenty good days out walking on my doorstep in the Moffat hills. There are a few good hills not too far from the burgh. Broad Law is one that I love to get up in the worst of weather, its worth a look and doesn't take all day to climb and at 840m its only 74m or so off being a munro.

Hi MG, Broad Law was actually one of the first on my list when I first started looking at walks last April/May but still have yet not got round to doing it! Saw your report from it on 12th Dec, cracking weather in a strange way! Also did the walk round Loch Skeen in the summer, and it did cross my mind to head back there in the winter to take in White Coomb too
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland