walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A morning stretch of the legs

A morning stretch of the legs

Postby soulminer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 12/12/2012

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Keeping an eye on the weather situation, and the other on a work rota, today would afford us a wee wander. Doogz being on a backshift affording us the chance to charge the batteries early doors. A wee amble, possibly not even the summit, depends how we feel :)
Left Paisley at 06:00 for the long haul to Arrochar :lol: 45mins later in the carpark suiting and booting, and checking the batteries in the headtorches :thumbup: Sauntered off up the interminable zig-zag path, listening out for the occasional rustling in the undergrowth- spooky :lol: Taking the odd chance to switch the torches off, and enjoy the clarity of air around us, and the bounties above. Plod,plod and plod again. Although the conditions were baltic, and a fair degree of ice underfoot, we steadily progressed- talking the usual nonsense- or more precisely listening to it- awrite Doogz :thumbup: :lol: :lol: We reached the dam and and thought the path option to wimpy, so just set off up towards Cruach nam Miseag.Last time I wandered up here, I headed straight for the belach to head up towards the Spearhead, but today Doogz had this rational head on and suggested a hang right and top out on CnM for some pics- good thinking :wink:

Some darker shots before sunrise :

IMGP1791 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1797 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1801 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1805 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We continued on up over the small tops just stopping to take photos' and enjoy the feast of colours and cloud shapes constantly changing above.

IMGP1810 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1823 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1838 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1841 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The sky was awash with a variety of features to grab the attention, cloud formations constantly changing. It was hard- at times, to know where to look.

IMGP1845 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1846 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1848 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1852 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We reached the top and just laughed and clicked the cameras constantly 8) Worth the small effort of the detour.

IMGP1855 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1861 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1864 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1869 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Onwards and upwards. Conditions underfoot now waranted the deployment of ironmongery :lol: So off the bags with the axes, and out the bags with the crampons. Safety at all times, don't want to bother the lads down in Prestwick- ties in later :wink: .

The sky was magic to watch, full of colouful energy. At one point we thought it would be clouded over :shock: , but fortunately not.

IMGP1870 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1880 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1886 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1891 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1893 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1897 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We reached the point under the Spearhead, there were footprints to the left and right. We spoke about route choice, and decided to go for adventure and scale the Chimney :) It was packed with consolidated snow and made for some fine fun.

IMGP1901 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1903 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1905 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We spent ages around here sponging in the views, and our small refreshment break. A grand day to be out and about. Yes, some may find Narnain -boring, but on a day like today they would be few and far between 8)

IMGP1906 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1908 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1917 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1919 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1922 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1924 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1928 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1931 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1932 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1933 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Time to head off for doogz to get to work on time, reluctantly :roll: An absolute pleasure today.Our descent route changed, we opted for the by-pass of the Spearhead. This was pretty bouldery- with evidence sphincteral insufficiency caused by holes of a serious depth. There were some deep enough to stand in with just your head poking out :shock: Real leg and hip snappers. We thought it may have been easier to use our ascent route- in hindsight :)

IMGP1936 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Big sky :
IMGP1939 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Much further down we heard the distictive sound of a helicopters engine and rotas- hope it is not us it is looking for :wink: It circled for a time, then deposited a crew member atop Cruach nam Miseag.
IMGP1943 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1941 by BoydBlair, on Flickr.

I had to unpack my camera from my bag for these, but Doogz has better shots than these quick ones I took.
Funny how walk are similar. The last time I was here at sunrise the morning ended with a helicopter over The Cobbler.
It is obvious, from my reports, I am not one for the ulilisation of florid language- I don't feel the need when the pics explain it better than I can with words. So sorry about the amout of pics, but...................... :wink:
Last edited by soulminer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: A morning stretch of the legs

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am

No apology necessary. Cracking pictures of stunning views. Reward for the early start. It's been a good week weather-wise...until today. :clap:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am

great pictures!
wilkiemurray

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm

:thumbup: Belters..............you still get up far, far, far too early though.............IMHO! :D :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby pigeon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Another cracker SM,and great pics again,no been down Arrochar for a while,must put that right soon,cheers :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Absolutly fantastic photo's :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Fabulous - as seems often to be the case for you when you get up early. :clap:

Immersed in domestic responsibilities (as I am here) I am profoundly jealous. :mrgreen: But good on you for getting out so early and catching these skies. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ChrisW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 pm

What a stunner Soulminer, well worth that early morning chill - some beautiful shots there and definitely noting to apologize for, every one is worth a second look, what a wonderful mornings wander :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dunrig » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 pm

great pictures-you were treated to spectacular skies often the reward for early mornings or late nights
dunrig

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am

Absolute stunner - lucky guys
Just read doogz's post - walk reports in stereo!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland