walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Maol Chaluim, from Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 12/12/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill: Beinn Maol Chaluim
Date: Saturday 12th December 2009
Company: Foggieclimber, Ian and Judy
Time: 5 Hrs

Quite a late start for me this morning :?. We parked at 149496, next to Lochan Urr, where there is room for 3 or 4 cars and started walking at 09:30.

The ascent from the road starts steeply alongside a fence and forest.

Then simply a case of heading up, following the broad ridge, until reaching the 848m top.

Looking back along Glen Etive towards the Buichailles:

Beinn Trillichean (zoomed):

Looking up Beinn Maol Chaluim:

Looking down Glen Etive towards Starav and Beinn Trilleachan:

Ian, Buichaille Etive Mor and Creise:

On reaching the crags around 600m we bypassed them to the left.

Crags around 600m:

Sgor na h-Ulaidh:

Looking back down Beinn Maol Chaluim:

Creise:

Buichaille Etive Beag and Buichaille Etive Mor:

Looking along ridge towards summit of Beinn Maol Chaluim:

Bidean nam Bian:

Ian and Judy:

Final stretch to summit:

Meall Lighiche:

Sgor na h-Ulaidh:

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach:

Judy, Ian and Foggieclimber at summit:

A nice straight-forward grassy hill but with lots of lumps and bumps. We returned to the car via the same route.
foggieclimber

Re: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby mountain coward » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:52 am

That looks great - I'm probably lining that up for my Feb visit - it looks okay for my level of winter experience (I've done all the Munros in the area so am picking off the Corbetts there instead. You've got some fantastic photos there, especially of Sgorr na h' Ulaidh and Bidean! :D To me, you've got just the right amount of 'spectacular views from the mountain' and 'this is the route' shots.
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 am

ARghhh, I was driving back to Scotland from way 'darn 'sarf and get back to a forum stuffed full of reports showing the fantastic weather I missed. And it's all claggy now :(
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 am

Just been re-reading this as I was wondering whether to put a report and my photos out for it (you do seem to have covered the few I have though here) and I looked again at your 'Meall Ligiche' photo - I'm not sure you're right there as I don't think you'd be able to see that from Beinn Maol Chaluim for the Sgorr na h' Ulaidh lot. So I'm proposing that it's: Aonach Dubh a' Ghlinne's long ridge to Fhuarain?

And :lol: to the 'late start' - I started off up this one at 1100! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland