walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds


Postby Graeme D » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Blairdenon Hill

Date walked: 21/12/2012

Time taken: 2.6 hours

Distance: 8.1 km

Ascent: 380m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, what do you do when the end of the world is nigh? Christmas shopping holds little appeal at the best of times, let alone in the face of impending doom. So with school finishing for the Christmas holidays and annihilation imminent, there really was only one logical course of action - head for the hills.

Weather wise, today was decidedly skanky, the only positive thing to say for it being that it was somewhat less skanky than yesterday. I clung to the notion doing the rounds in the various forecasts I had seen and heard that the monsoon was going to abate as the afternoon wore on, and when school clocked off, I headed south down the A9. I had to pick up my daughter from my parents,in Auchterarder but planned on heading down to the Sheriffmuir road and tackling Blairdenon Hill from Carim Lodge, thus finishing off the northern Donalds in the process.

I did wonder about the wisdom of hill walking when I crossed the River Earn which was more resembling of Lake Superior than the River Earn, but I forged on, encountering a few unmarked fords on the Sheriffmuir road before pulling onto the verge below the slopes of Little Corum.

IMG_1223.JPG
Carim Lodge from Little Corum


The lower slopes were surprisingly bog free up to the little knobbly top of Little Corum but in the bealach between here and Mickle Corum, things went downhill somewhat, literally, as I descended into a swamp.

IMG_1226.JPG
Greenloaning and Braco from just beyond Little Corum

IMG_1228.JPG
Mickle Corum and Glentye Hill

IMG_1229.JPG
Blairdenon Hill across the shoulder of Mickle Corum


Fortunately it was reasonably short lived and as I ascended Mickle Corum alongside the fence line, the snow cover became more widespread, however as I got above the snowline itself, the going became very hard. The snow was deep, thick, and heavy - kind of like walking through syrup in places.

IMG_1230.JPG
Frozen fence

IMG_1231.JPG
Ahead to Blairdenon from the 616m spot height

IMG_1232.JPG
Cairn on the 616m spot

IMG_1233.JPG
Distant Dumyat


I hugged the fence line where the going was a little easier, passing the memorial cross a short distance before the unassuming summit at the three way junction of fences.

IMG_1234.JPG
Memorial cross

IMG_1235.JPG
Blairdenon summit


I didn't hang about unduly, more or less retracing my steps back to the car before heading to pick up Ailsa from her Gran and Papa, passing a couple of interesting water features on the way down.

IMG_1237.JPG
Bubbling spring

IMG_1238.JPG
Peat hag water feature


our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Graeme D
 
Posts: 4013
Munros:251   Corbetts:125
Fionas:76   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6
Joined: Oct 17, 2008
Location: Perth

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Even if the weather wasn't up to much, at least you avoided the shopping Graeme - well done on managing to get out...the peat hag does make a nice water feature. Here's hoping we get some good weather over the holidays - cheers :)
User avatar
rockhopper
 
Posts: 7478
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:139   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20
Joined: Jun 1, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:32 am

The snow improved quite a bit with a little more height – I did the Law-Cleuch-Ever loop at lunchtime and it went from no snow other than dregs below 550m, a not-very-pleasant band of ankle-deep slush above that, then some better snow – on the firm side of soft – above 650m. Suspect I might have been the only person up Ben Cleuch all day – there were no footprints either side of the cairn at that stage, and although there was still plenty of time for someone else to plod up (I got to the top about 11.40am) the weather seemed to be worsening slightly as the day wore on.

Well done re getting up Blairdenon – wasn’t the most conducive day for it. Is nice from that side – the ridge round from Mickle Corum over Greenforet is a pleasant wander.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Apr 29, 2010

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby ChrisW » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:05 am

Well done on getting the Northern Donalds completed Graeme and on getting out there irrespective of the conditions :clap: Sarah and I were on a plane heading to Florida overnight, I looked at her half way and said "if the world ends while we're up here.....where are we going to land" ....she's was not impressed :lol: .
I got the last hike of the year in just before we left so I sneaked a healthy 42 trips this year :wink: have you any plans for any more this year?
Either way, have a great Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year :thumbup: :D
User avatar
ChrisW
Rambler
 
Posts: 4941
Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   
Joined: Jan 25, 2011
Location: Cochrane- Alberta - Canada

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 am

RTC wrote:Brave man to tackle the Ochils today. You couldn't see them from Stirling. Nice photos. The ones taken around the top make things look very bleak. I've done Blairdenon several times but never from the Sheriffmuir side. Approaching it from the South or adding it on to a Ben Cleuch walk can be very boggy unless done in frosty conditions.


It wasn't too bad actually. Quite invigorating and good for the soul in fact! :D

rockhopper wrote:Even if the weather wasn't up to much, at least you avoided the shopping Graeme - well done on managing to get out...the peat hag does make a nice water feature. Here's hoping we get some good weather over the holidays - cheers :)


Always worth avoiding the High Street at this time of year! :wink:

Dave Hewitt wrote:The snow improved quite a bit with a little more height – I did the Law-Cleuch-Ever loop at lunchtime and it went from no snow other than dregs below 550m, a not-very-pleasant band of ankle-deep slush above that, then some better snow – on the firm side of soft – above 650m. Suspect I might have been the only person up Ben Cleuch all day – there were no footprints either side of the cairn at that stage, and although there was still plenty of time for someone else to plod up (I got to the top about 11.40am) the weather seemed to be worsening slightly as the day wore on.

Well done re getting up Blairdenon – wasn’t the most conducive day for it. Is nice from that side – the ridge round from Mickle Corum over Greenforet is a pleasant wander.


Yeah, you could tell it's a nice wee curving ridge. The snow was just beginning to firm up below the summit, but around the cross, there were some really unpleasant, deep, wet drifts! :(

ChrisW wrote:Well done on getting the Northern Donalds completed Graeme and on getting out there irrespective of the conditions :clap: Sarah and I were on a plane heading to Florida overnight, I looked at her half way and said "if the world ends while we're up here.....where are we going to land" ....she's was not impressed :lol: .
I got the last hike of the year in just before we left so I sneaked a healthy 42 trips this year :wink: have you any plans for any more this year?
Either way, have a great Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year :thumbup: :D


Cheers Chris. And to you and Sarah too, and all the family wherever they may be! It's OK for some eh - Florida for Christmas! :shock: I am hoping to get out one more time before 2013, probably on the 27th. I have a few notions but it will all be weather dependent. I'd like to get one more Munro in to hit halfway before the year is out. :)
User avatar
Graeme D
 
Posts: 4013
Munros:251   Corbetts:125
Fionas:76   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6
Joined: Oct 17, 2008
Location: Perth

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby Bod » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Nice one Graeme, well done getting out there yesterday :roll: :wink: :D

I was down below you there in Alloa looking up at the misty Ochils enjoying a wee Christmas lunch in a local Golf Club.......All the best and goodluck to getting out there on the 27th. Will be watching for an oppotunity myself :D :D :D
User avatar
Bod
Walker
 
Posts: 1549
Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:75   Islands:25
Joined: Jul 30, 2010
Location: Cowdenbeath

Re: Blairdenon Hill - the last of the Northern Donalds

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Will keep this report in mind as will be a handy walk one summers evening with Kim. Cheers :D
User avatar
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 2983
Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Livingston

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).




Can you help support Walkhighlands?


Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FlowersforAlgernon and 25 guests