walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mendick Hill and East Cairn Hill

Mendick Hill and East Cairn Hill

Postby gmr82 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Cairn Hill, Mendick Hill

Date walked: 09/12/2012

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 843m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mendick = 7km; Ascent 261m; Time taken 2hrs
East Cairn = 13km; Ascent 582m; Time taken 3.25hrs
Attachments

East_Cairn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mendick.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by gmr82 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Mendick Hill and East Cairn Hill

Postby morag1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:56 pm

I love to see the Pentlands but I must admit I prefer them from the Edinburgh side as you get great views over the city :D
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Good day you got for it with some nice views. I did East Cairn from the north. :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gmr82 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 pm

RTC wrote:Perhaps this is because it took me 3 goes to get a tick for East Cairn Hill.
However, I think the Allermuir and Scawd Law ridges in the Pentlands are great walks for their height.

Thanks RTC, remember reading of your 3 attempts before I set off, I just hope they don't get reclassified again :lol: Echo what you say though, my favourite workout in the Pentlands is from Turnhouse to the Kips and then back the way I came, though I do like to be in the car park at 8am as the ridges getting a bit busy for my liking

morag1 wrote:I love to see the Pentlands but I must admit I prefer them from the Edinburgh side as you get great views over the city :D
Have you tried Blackford Hill too? Blackford Pond has a great selection of wildlife and if you are feeling lazy you can just park at the Observatory :wink:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good day you got for it with some nice views. I did East Cairn from the north. :)

Maybe we'll all need to take on East Cairn from each direction and then decide the best route :lol: , thanks JC saw your report from Mendick, great that you included the pic of the fork in the road, ensured I didn't go the wrong way, should probably have put similiar in my report!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Some lovely pics there! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby digby » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm

A nicer alternative that is more off track and follows the crest of the hill is to go through the access track through the trees at the top of the field N W of Slipperfield House, follow the fence line for a short way then head toward Mendick Hill going through a gate in the fence. From the top drop N to the top of the ridge leading to Ingraston Hill. The field above Ingraston farm can be traversed above the little plantation to meet the main track by gates and a big clump of pines. Description is for clockwise.

03-Jan-16 11_39.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Screen shot 2016-01-03 at 16.09.11.jpg
digby

Munros:67   Corbetts:14
Fionas:19   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby dickens96 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Did Mendick early last Summer going past Slipperfield and then straight up, then came back the way the last post suggests. Good short walk.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland