walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A busy New Years Day on the Whangie

A busy New Years Day on the Whangie

Postby allanglens » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Route description: The Whangie, Kilpatrick Hills

Date walked: 01/01/2013

Distance: 4.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, just for a change, managed to get myself and two daughters out and about on New Years Day.

After looking at the daylight times, and paying due regard to no.2 daughter getting in at 3.30a.m. (working, not partying) we decided to take a stroll up the Whangie at Auchinden Hill.

Looking at my photo-file says it is over 3 years since I was last there. There have been some improvements to the fencing and the boardwalk at the start, but one thing hasnt changed - the mud! Not helped by the fact that there has obviously been some light snow overnight,and the numbers of people, but when the walk description says 'muddy underfoot' - it aint kidding!

As anyone who has been there knows, it isnt a strenuous walk, in fact ideal for the day. But you do wonder at the number of people who seem to think that fashion trainers and denims are the appropriate gear for even this sort of excursion. I am sure that there will have been a few Christmas presents ruined today!

Anyway, that is no. 1 for 2013 - here's hoping for the time, weather, and fitness to add a good few more.
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland