walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glens rather than Bens: Hogmanay and NY's day

Glens rather than Bens: Hogmanay and NY's day

Postby SMRussell » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhonicag

Date walked: 01/01/2013

Distance: 24.15 km

Ascent: 1321m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

31.12.12: Glen Nevis (distance 8.75km / ascent 646 meters)
01.01.13: Glen Roy and Beinn a'Mhonicag (distance 15.4km / ascent 675 meters)
As the Christmas and New Year season approached EwaMH, agrubb, RTMcB and I all decided it would be just dandy to book ourselves a nice self-catering place in the Highlands for a New Year's hill bagging adventure. As the 31st came ever nearer and a wee place in Roybridge booked we were all pondering which Munros (or Corbetts) we'd choose to climb to toast in 2013. Perhaps the Loch Lochys, Loch Treigs, maybe even the Ben himself. However, the weather had other ideas; gales, rain, and the threat of white-out conditions at Munro height made getting high sound like a silly idea.

We scoured the OS maps considering our low level options and Glen Nevis was chosen for the 31st. Despite the near horizontal rain and low cloud the Glen was a busy place on Hogmanay with the wire bridge resembling a play area even though the river and Steall falls were pure white with the volume and speed of the water due to the level of rain in recent days.

Once we reached the Steall ruins we decided retrace our steps back over the foot bridge ascend a few hundred meters to check out potential future wild camping spots at the back of the Ben. I think we were all really pleased to have done so as we were treated to a jaw dropping view of the Mamores, which for me was the highlight of the trip :D We were even treated to some golden sunshine as we gazed over.

Once the waterproofs were off and we were back in the car the thought of an ale at the Grog and Gruel in Fort William was too good to resist so a pint was had before we headed back to our lodgings for an evening of booze and board games - yes us 20 somethings really know how to see in the New Year :D

The next day saw another jaunt through a Glen, this time Glen Roy. Once at the view point and with the weather teasing us with patches of blue sky we couldn't say no to a quick whip up little Beinn a'Mhonicag for a better view point - and what a view point it turned out to be! The Grey Corries looked stunning in their white coats and the passing dark grey snow clouds added a real sense of drama.

Views taken in and a few sips from our hip flasks to toast the first summit of 2013 we began the precarious descent down the snowy and steeps sides of the little hill. About 170 meters before we were back at the view point RTMcB slipped and began a dramatic frontal slide down the hill coming to a stop close to my feet. This soon resulted in speedy bum slides all round :D Unfortunately for me I managed to continue sliding into sheep poo filled puddles the water from which made its way through the pocket holes of my over trousers leaving me with a rather wet bum and wondering whether I was now sharing my over trousers with a few pellets of sheep poop! :shock: I have no regrets though and judging by RTMcBs face the bum sliding was his highlight of the trip!

Shame we weren't able to have the fairy-tale hill bagging adventure we'd set our hearts on but our lower level wanders were still memorable.

Glen_Nevis.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
Glen Nevis

2.jpg
Falls

3.jpg

4.jpg
Mams!

5.jpg

6.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

7.jpg
Glen Roy

8.jpg
Glen Roy

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Glens rather than Bens: Hogmanay and NY's day

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 pm

SMRussell wrote: so a pint was had before we headed back to our lodgings for an evening of booze and board games - yes us 20 somethings really know how to see in the New Year :D
no comment :roll: 8) :wink: but this does look a cracking way to bring in the new year - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Having walked through Glen Nevis after finishing the Ring of Steall, that level of water is frightening :shock:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Tomsie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Have never being up here, but the photo's of water raging looks great
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm

rockhopper wrote:
SMRussell wrote: so a pint was had before we headed back to our lodgings for an evening of booze and board games - yes us 20 somethings really know how to see in the New Year :D
no comment :roll: 8) :wink: but this does look a cracking way to bring in the new year - cheers :)

Thanks RH - nothing like a tipsy game of Balderdash! I really fancied spending the 1st hiking the Loch Lochy Munros esp. after reading your pre-Christmas trip report :thumbup: . At least we got to see them from the summit of Beinn a'Mhonicag.

Fudgie wrote:Having walked through Glen Nevis after finishing the Ring of Steall, that level of water is frightening :shock:

The water was ferocious! It didn't look as bad by the wire bridge but I was still moving fast. I'm not a good swimmer, in fact I'm a terrible swimmer so wasn't 100% sure a go over the bridge would be wise - as it turned out there was a fair queue for the bridge so we didn't bother. I'll be back for the ring of Steall anyway.

Tomsie wrote:Have never being up here, but the photo's of water raging looks great

Cheers. Good back up plan if you're in the area and the weather hinders high level walks. Very busy wee walk mind.
SMRussell

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, for 20-somethings, you were wise before your years. The 'mams' photo is sublime.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well, for 20-somethings, you were wise before your years. The 'mams' photo is sublime.

Actually, truth be told one of us is 30 :shock: (RTMcB)! Thanks Kev, that snap is currently my Facebook cover photo. Snapped by RTMcB and minimally edited in Abode Lightroom by me.
SMRussell

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland