walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First walk of 2013

First walk of 2013

Postby kmsharp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Donalds included on this walk: Beinn nan Eun, Uamh Bheag

Date walked: 04/01/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 820m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great day for a first walk of the year. As predicted by the forecasters the cloud cleared by mid-morning and I had intermittent sunshine for most of the day.

Uamh Bheag.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked at the Glenartney Church car park and set off at first light, just after 8:00am. Heading pretty much due south I slogged my way through the 3km pull to the summit of Beinn nan Eun - I've really lost a lot of fitness by not doing any walking for the last few months. There's not much on this summit so I quickly continued on, dropping down to the west and ascending to the summit of Beinn Odhar.

At this point the cloud began to clear and I was treated to spectacular views to the south and Stirling.

IMG_4233.jpg
Great view - you can see Stirling Castle. Shame about the windfarm!

After a brief stop to enjoy the sunshine, views, and some wine gums, I climbed up to the summit of Uamh Bheag. Interestingly the trig point isn't actually at the summit, instead you get this delightful sculpture:

IMG_4242.jpg
Bucket head sculpture at the summit of Uamh Bheag

From the summit I headed north over Meall Clachach to Am Beannan. The descent from Am Beannan to the Allt Ollach river is quite steep. The river was in spate, but luckily there's a bridge at NN695145.

IMG_4244.jpg
Uamh Bheag

Once across the bridge it was a simple case of following the Water of Ruchill back to the road and then a quick 1.5km stroll back to the car.

A good start to 2013's walking - long may it continue!
kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Grahams:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: First walk of 2013

Postby nxmjm » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm planning my trips to climb these "northern" Donalds this year.
nxmjm

Munros:1   Corbetts:11
Grahams:24   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland